Beedo's Customs

Reaction score
I reckoned I should try to consolidate my customs onto one page, for ease of finding.

I've already got a few items posted on these boards, like these HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE, and I'll start posting any future projects on this thread. I find that this is especailly important, since my GeoCities webpage which has stood for 12 years is getting wiped out later this year, and I want a place to show off until I can arrange for another site.

And the reason I'm starting this thread now with no new images is because I've got a custom that's a couple of skulls away from completion (if you want a hint of what's coming), and hope to post it here in the next couple of days.

See ya soon . . . !

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Re: Beedo\'s Customs

Thank 'e, folks! Without further ado, I present a custom I've been wanting to do for at least three years, now. And finally, Hasbro made the raw material to make it possible. I give you . . . .

JARRUDZIN THE UNFORGIVABLE

I find it interesting that the Amani which comes with the Wal-Mart 2-Pack is meant to be the Lorekeeper who brokers the slavery deal with Janek Sunber at the end of the Star Wars: Empire “To the Last Man” story arc. The staff/spear (not pictured) is just about right, the necklaces are right(ish), but he comes with none of the other gear (although I’m glad they did it that way, in order to allow customizers to buy loads and make lots of different Amanin from the comics). So I’ve decided to rectify the “missing” parts.

First, the necklaces were repainted to better match the comic book images. Then, the big wide dark-brown strap from the canteen was cut off, replaced with thin-gauge twine, and the canteen was repainted. Next, a lot of twine was wrapped around his arms, and any exposed light-grey straps at his wrists were repainted to better match the twine bindings. He was given a twine belt. Next, I bent a jumbo paperclip into the shape of the weird spiny harness he wears, covered it in Sculpey, baked it, painted it, and hot-glued it to his back. All the rest of the paraphernalia hanging off him hide any glue over-flow and make it look like the spines are held on with a vine-twine harness. His additional trophy skulls come from an Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark deluxe pitfall set (the two at his left shoulder), and a Marvel vs. Street Fighter Dhalsim (the small grey skull on his pouch-strap, representing a Bimm miner). Finally, his pouch comes from a VOTC Chewbacca, with a new twine strap and a repaint.

For some reason, the Games Workshop Kommando Khaki paint I used for his necklaces, spines, and bag, which match the colour of the twine almost perfectly in real life, look much lighter and less brown in the digital photograph. Must be something to do with the textures. Either that, or there’s some blue pigment in the paint. For some reason, digital cameras don’t like the blue pigments Games Workshop uses for its paint (and I’ve had two digital cameras, both with the exact same results, and I’m not the only one who has had this problem, either), and for some reason, the flash and digital process colour-shifts the blues lighter and greyer in the images. Weird. And, as you can see, I’m having trouble getting consistent lighting when not shooting during the day, as most of these images have been run through several different brightness filters, and no two are quite alike. But trust me: in person, the colours are a better match for the original comic art.

The name of this guy is a tribute to the 1980s hair-metal-style, post-apocalypse movie, Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn, which features The Great Richard Moll as a cyclops. I chose it because it's delightfully cheezy and every single Sample Name in the RPG sourcebook for the Amanin had a "J" in it somewhere.

And, yes, I resent the second skull on his necklace being made as a Rodian, when they were all clearly Humans or Near-Humans in the comic books.

While I've got a sh'load of other projects in limbo at the moment, the one I'm looking forward to completing next is a tutorial for custom non-drooping Amanaman staves, with "real hair" scalps and separate skulls and body part trophies. As you may have guessed, Amanin are my favourite aliens -- tied with Rodians, or course -- and it's probably because I'm pretty morbid.

Reaction score
Reaction score

Thanks, guys! It's funny how the most responses I get back these days are from the Rebel Four and the Uzay Blue Stars, but I haven't seen anyone else make them. Enh, they probably have better things to do with their fodder.

Reaction score
Reaction score

Thank 'e, mate! I took him directly from the last few pages of "To the Last Man." I would definitely like to do some of the more stand-out Amanin from the Empire story arc, and would love to have a whole mass of them, but I've only got three at the moment, with little chance of getting more (no Wal-Marts in England, and I think all the other Amanin fans are doing the same thing). The second one I had was turned into Stump Hugelarge, a fanfic character conceived by an onine Capper pal years ago. The third one has yet to get a "look," although I'd like to make him a spear-carrier with a large "golf-bag" of javelins. I have also learned that no Stormtrooper belt will fit on this large-scale Amani, and must do a rethink on that, possibly using white electrician's tape.

My next update is so ludicrously easy, I might not even bother posting a pic. I took the new Concept Anakin Vader, cut the grey shoulder-piece off his plastic cape, slipped it back on over a 500th-Vader fabric cape with the silver string cut off, and gave him a Vader saber. Easy and satisfying.

Still working on the Amanaman staff tutorial, though it might be a while, since I'm working eight days in a row, without an appreciable block of time off for another two weeks. The finished product looks like this:

This is a Vintage-tribute brown one, and the tutorial will revolve around the Modern grey one. Same process, only the colours are different. It's . . . time-consuming. But since I finished it six or so years ago (I had to wait until I got a good digital camera before I could take decent photographs of it), it hasn't drooped a millimeter -- unlike the Hasbro one, which keels over at a rate of knots while you watch.

Anywho, more to come. I just don't know when yet.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Re: Beedo\'s Customs - Juggernaut Commander update!

Thank 'e, r1bb1t! He's taken from the last few pages of the Star Wars: Empire "To the Last Man" comic books, which gives you a good look at him from several angles. That really helped.

Anywho, here's another relatively simple one that didn't require much work at all, but what work it did require was all fiddly:

JUGGERNAUT COMMANDER

’Cause I’m sick of those f’ing cartoonish, stick-figure Clones that come with these gigantic kick-butt vehicles I’ve been buying, that’s why. This is a standard AOTC Clone Trooper, with a ROTS Tank Gunner helmet overlay, and the chest plate and deltoid armour cut from the figure that came with the Turbo Tank, superglued on the "realistic" Clone. He hasn't got the super-articulated wrists because the pegs on those are way too thin to fit in the realistic Clones' wrist-sockets.

I figured if we’re only ever going to get one of these guys per huge expensive vehicle (with no carded versions in sight), there aren’t ever going to be enough of them to man all the myriad guns. So this special dude is hereby dubbed the Turbo Tank Commander, which is why there's only one of him. So there, Hasbro.

As you can imagine, I've got an AT-TE Commander planned as well, I just need to get another ROTS Tank Gunner in the mail (for the hat) before I can finish him.

Oh, and if anyone knows if there are any (preferably small) Lego Star Wars sets that may have small-enough Republic Roundel stickers for the helmets, it'd be appreciated. Otherwise, I think I'll keep the helmets logo-less. Thanks!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score

Thanks for the kind words of support, gang!

I hear you when you mention the "If Hasbro doesn't make it, make it yourself" maxim, Wraith. The only problem I find is that as soon as I make a custom, they go and make an official version a year or two later, with better detail, and whose paint doesn't come off when you move the joints.

Agent Claret, that's a nifty tip about the putty that I'll keep in mind. Thanks! But I took another look at the hands, and the Animated-style hands are actually smaller and slimmer than the Realistic-style ones, so I don't think I'll pursue that modification this time, because I think they may look out of place.

If I need to make an ultra-articulated Femtrooper, though . . . .

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score

Wow, the clone looks fantastic. I hope Hasbro gets around to that version at some point in the realistic style, but not so soon to where it can become an aggravation for you, because you clearly put some hard work into it.

Also love the upgraded comic pack Amanin. Awesome and menacing.

Reaction score

Thanks loads, guys!
It warms the cockles of my shrivelled, evil little heart to hear words of support from those whose skills surpass mine in most areas. (One day, I will learn how to weather properly, dammit!)

Actually, the chest armour was the easiest part, since the torso of the pack-in figure is quite soft. Colour-matching the armour when my roto-tool got away from me and it skidded onto the painted bits, though, that was fiddly! And the add-on parts are still a little mismatched, so I may attempt more touch-ups down the road.

LukeSprywalker said:
Hey I'll take any cartoon clone parts you have left over if you don't like them/won't use them.
You're welcome to 'em when I've finished the AT-TE Commander, mate. The parts I need should arrive in about a month, and I should be able to finish the Commander within a week of them arriving. Would you mind trading something for 'em? You can PM me a list of stuff you'd like to trade (a few weapons or accessories, or fodder parts, or whatever), and we can work something out.

Thanks again, gang, and I hope to have something else new posted here in a week or so. 'Later!

Beedo

Reaction score

As you can see by the hit-and-miss look of the photos below, I’m still having problems balancing colour in post-production when photographing after dark (even with extra lights and a powerful flash), but when you’re slated to work night shifts in a couple of days, you don’t have that much choice of “studio time.” Anywho, here are three recently-finished projects, the third of which has been in developmental limbo since late 2005, or whenever it was that carded AT-RT Drivers came out.

AT-TE COMMANDER

A “Realistic”-style AOTC Clone Trooper, a ROTS Tank Gunner’s helmet overlay and rifle, and some parts cut off an Animated-style AT-TE Gunner. Same story as with the Juggernaut Commander, only with dark grey flashes on his armour (pattern modelled directly on the Animated-style AT-TE Gunner, including the extra bits over the “ear” parts of his “hat”). Now I’ve seen in the SDCC coverage that they’re going to release single-carded AT-TE Gunners, I’ll only need to repeat this tedious process at least four more times if I want to outfit my AT-TE with a full complement of gunners, and try to think up a new “look” for the AT-TE Commander . . . . Nah!

JES GISTANG
(with improved gunner articulation)

A while back, I mentioned that the hands on the Animated-style Clones, while admirably jointed, were a bit small and feebly-pegged to work with the “Realistic”-style Clones, unless some colleague-suggested modifications were performed (for which I have neither the materials, nor the patience, nor the inclination). But I did think they could work on a “Femtrooper” character. So I tried it, and here she is: Jes Gistang, with wrist articulation more befitting a gunner, which allows her to hold all manner of rifles in many cool poses. It’s a simple boil-and-pop job (with a smidgen of white paint touching-up). Easy as pie.

COMMANDER KRONIS

I wrenched the hand-pegs off two of my ROTS AT-RT Drivers when testing them for poseability -- the right hand on one, the left hand on the other. So, I volunteered one unlucky spare Clone (can’t even remember which one it was) for a hand transplant. Which left me with a Clone with no hands. A tricky situation. Then, to quote The Ransom of Red Chief, in “a moment of mental apparition,” I came up with a plan: Make the Clone equivalent of Trap-Jaw. I filled his empty wrist-sockets with coils of black electrician’s tape, cobbled together left hand, hook, claw, and heavy lasertron accessories from odds ’n’ sods, gave them all paper-clip pegs to fit into the tape-sockets, stuck the two halves of a mutilated POTF2 Ackbar Comlink Wrist Blaster's forearm clip to his thigh plates, stuck the magnets from a couple of POTF2 Power FX R2-D2 control sticks onto his belt to hold the metal-pegged weapons when he’s not using them, painted him in a Trap-Jaw colour scheme, and there you go. He’s a Clone who’s had both his hands blown off, but has overcome adversity to become a differently-abled multi-tool of a one-man wrecking crew. His helmet is removable, and yes, that loop on the top of his helmet is made from a paperclip, and actually works just like the real Trap-Jaw’s zipline. I tested it. It’s sweet. And again, the Games Workshop blue paint comes out lighter and greyer than it looks in person; it’s really a very close match to Trap-Jaw’s dark teal skin. I’ve decided against giving him a command pauldron and kama, because they’d hinder his movements when reaching for his attachments. I reckon he’d stand out enough on a battlefield, anyway.

CLONE COMMANDERS GROUP SHOT

The two Tank Commanders flanking Commander Kronis. ’Cause I wanted to.

Reaction score

Thank God! More Beedo customs!

The AT-TE commander looks really good, I like the chest and shoulder armor.

Jes Gistang looks great! Those ball-jointed wrists really allow her to do all those girly poses, hee hee!

Commander Kronis looks obnoxiously awesome. Definitely something different.

Reaction score
Reaction score

Thank 'e, guys! Those kind words have cheered me right up!

Agent Claret, please refer to my PM regarding commissions. As for the Animated Clone hands, the only sculpting material I have is Sculpey, and I think that might be a bit too brittle for the task at hand. Still, should I manage to acquire anything suited to the purpose, I'll take your recommendation and give it a go. (Although I usually end up giving any Animated Clones I amass to the son of a former co-worker of mine, 'cause he appreciates them more than I do.
)

Reaction score
Reaction score

That ATTE commander looks AWESOME! I had the idea to do that helmet up for an IFT Commander, but my approach to the body was a fair bit different. He's on "The List," but it just isn't his turn yet. Once it is, I'll be back in this thread and likely pestering you with questions!

Reaction score
Reaction score

Green stuff is local? Huh. Can't recall ever seeing it anywhere. Maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough. Would I have to order it online, or what?

Anywho, thanks for the kind comments, gang!

MasterFett, the armour plates are actually quite easy to cut off, as the plastic for these pack-in / multi-pack Clones is quite soft. The tricky part is hollowing them out -- you have to hollow them out a fair bit, and the shoulder pads have to get quite thin before they even go on as far as the ones in my pictures. I mean, look at the comparison between the two Tank Commanders and Kronis. Kronis' deltoid armour is fine, no modification except for the paint. The Tank Commanders, however, have had their original armour carved off (and actually a tiny bit more as well), and the new shoulder pads hollowed so thin that daylight was visible through a few of the dimples in it . . . and they STILL don't look like they fit right when seen in front view. This is because the "Realistic" Clones have much more massive arms than those skinny Animated-style ones, and the pads just can't wrap around far enough. Enh, it was worth a shot, anyway.

And Doc, I hope that tirade answered any questions you might have.
But if it didn't, ask away!

Claret, as a person whose childhood fell within some of the greatest years of inventive toydom ever (and is now seeing all those great ideas return with a vengeance and unbelievably improved quality), I must say that if there was any way to get 3.75" Masters of the Universe figures with modern Star Wars articulation, I'd be flat broke in a month. I may just have to settle for repainting a Hex & Rex in a Two-Bad colour scheme, or popping a Rum Sleg head and repainted Palpatine hood on a Captain Colton for an el cheapo impromptu Skeletor. Or something. A Geonosian as Buzz-Off or Jawa as Orko are obvious (but perhaps a bit silly), but a Saurin or Trandoshan made into a Whiplash might be cool. Now the only question in my mind is, how to kit-bash a 1:18th scale Clawful . . . ?

Anywho, as soon as I've shrunk the picture to a manageable size, my next update should include Stump Hugelarge, Security Officer for Soofad's SpecOps, and one-being Amani brute squad. (Don't hold your breath, it ain't that spectacular a custom, and I'm actually kind of stuck as to whether or not I can do anything else with him.)

Anywho, 'Later!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score

I agree, those tank gunners are flawlessly executed.

Reaction score

AgentClaret said:
I think Games Workshop makes the actual "Green Stuff"
Oh, heck, then that's easy! There's a Games Worshop outlet in downtown Torquay! Thanks for that tip-off, mate!

And thanks again for the kinds words, folks!

Beedo

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Re: Beedo\'s Customs -- Opinion poll - your views appreciated!

Thank 'e, mate!
It was just a silly project to use up a damaged Clone. Glad it seems to have struck a chord!

By the way, gang, my computer seems to have picked up a virus of some sort. My father opened an e-mail from one of his friends in Malaysia where this virus is running rampant, and tried to open a file without virus-scanning first. Not sure what this thing will do if I try to upload any more pictures to this site, but we'll see what I can do about getting rid of it first. So I'm not sure when I'll next post. In the meantime, I'll just get on with some customs and await your expert input on the issue of the Fighter Tank COmmander's armour. Thanks!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Re: Beedo\'s Customs -- Opinion poll - your views appreciated!

Thank 'e kindly, GT!

Doc, I got out some reference material last night and did some thinking about possibilities for the various Tank Commanders. Unless they come out with any new types of large Republic tanks for The Clone Wars, I reckon I've got four remaining commanders I want to make:

1) Republic Fighter Tank - colour flashes undetermined
2) SPHA-T - gloss black flashes (foreshadows the Imperial Gunners' uniforms)
3) AT-AP - most likely green (41st Elite, natch)
4) UT-AT - maroon flashes (I wanted to work that colour in somewhere, and since the UT-ATs were last seen attached to Bacara's Galactic Marines, might as well make 'em coordinate, eh?)

So I will be using Republic Maroon at some point, just probably not for the RFT. Considering the way Hasbro is doing their "Imperialised" vehicles these days, matching the trim is a darned good point, Doc! I wouldn't make an IFT myself (I'm not very confident in my vehicle-customising abilities), but if Hasbro ever releases one (and at this rate, they might, probably in dark grey and black), I'll just steal your sweet idea for the Commander and match up the trim. Anyone else want to chime in?

Finishing up a couple customs, might be able to post them soon. Already have Stump ready, and should have three Rodians (Sith, Madalorian, and Assassin) by the end of the month.