Ideas for Hasbro that could please both Collectors and Kids

Reaction score
Dear Hasbro,

Please, please, pretty please ignore all of the posts above and below this one. The SW fans are deluded and have a sense of entitlement that far surpasses both their knowledge and expertise.

Please keep doing what you’re doing.

Regards,

Waggy
Cute... and very helpful. :rolleyes:

Not sure how entitlement figures into this thread, but whatever. This is no different than any wishlist that's been created over the last 40+ years. Congratulations though on being the first person I've seen that thinks Hasbro is right on the money with their lack of distribution and lack of product.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Posting this in its entirety below :)
1). Move all SA figs out of brick-and-morter (they’ve been trying to do that anyway); just have 5-poa and movie figs in stores.

2). Make Haslab an interactive website, requiring a username and password; charge people like $8.99 a year for membership. This would annoy people, but it would ensure that only serious suggestions are made, and it would limit the number of trolls.

3). Create “threads” where people can go and review info on certain franchises and intellectual properties (Star Wars, Transformers, GI Joe, My Little Pony, etc.) and discuss/campaign for products (more on that below).

4).Every year, beginning on a certain date (say, for random example, March 1st) and ending a week later (say, March 7th), people can submit figure requests (or vehicles, or beasts, or playsets, etc., under those headings) as potential Haslab projects. ALL submissions are official and automatically get on the ballet (unless for some good reason Hasbro has to veto them). Anyway, after a short review process, they get on the ballet. You have that one week per year to nominate a character. Haslab alerts/reminds members to log in and submit.

5). People then get until a certain date (say, like three months later, like September 1st at 9:00 p.m. or whatever) to “pay” (commit to buy, just like the barge) for certain figures. They could charge absolutely exorbitant prices (like $24.99 or even a ridiculous $39.99) because they would be hand-picked dream figures. If the character gets the required buys (like 6,000 or 10,000 or 12,000 or whatever they need it to be), it gets made. That year’s SA TVC line is made. They get released over the course of the year, in “waves,” if you will, maybe the highest vote-getters going out first (but all successful submissions going out). It essentially replaces Fan’s Choice, with real results.

6). The next year, you can resubmit a guy. So, you submit Ackmena (Bea Arthur’s character in the Holiday Special). So, she’s on the ballet. People aren’t going there to “vote” for her, but to “buy” her. They’ve committed their $24.99. But, she doesn’t get the required buys (let’s say she only gets 1,113 of the needed 6,000). Over the course of the year, you campaign for her (“I’ll buy your Fozec if you buy my Ackmena”). Then, on March 1st, you can submit her again. It would be like a player waiting to get voted into the Hall of Fame.

7). The first year, Haslab would have to make like 20 figures, because the Pietts and Aloos and (whisper it) Jaxxons of the world would all get their buys. Fan would be ecstatic, because they grass-root crowdfunded their dream fig. Hasbro would have to get after it, but hey, they used to make 40 or 60 figs all the time as standard practice. It would be like Fan’s Choice, but we’d get our top 10 or 12 instead of 1 that not everyone agreed on anyway.

8). Hasbro, there’s no risk. People agree to pay upfront; you charge their card on “September 1st” if the required number is met. It is perfectly democratic, and collectors are over the moon. And you make millions.

The idea above I'm really warming up to. I just saw Adam @Galactichunter post that he'd be down with an idea to change Fan Polls into an idea like this where you put your money where you want it and crowdfund figures, which prompted this post. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
And things have changed since I first posted that back in 2018. The 5POA and Movie lines are gone, and retail essentially has stopped ordering figures. It makes even more since now. Let us vote with our actual wallets.
They would need to make sure that this is a worldwide project, then. If they restrict their market to the US (as they initially did with the barge), they may lose a lot of potential customers.

Also, this method would still not solve the primary conflict among collectors: Some want even more of the same character because it's not "definite" enough (and a re-do couldn't guarantee that the new one would be), while others would want to get precisely those never-done-before, never-had-a-chance third-liners that have been dismissed in an earlier post as "couldn't pick them out of a line".

And: Concepts like "I buy your X if you buy my Y" require an amount of personal trust between "members" that is not really there.

Apart from that, I would really love to know what the lowest feasible production run for a figure / a vehicle might be. We know what the barge required; was that a one-off or a general number that can be taken as basis for any other product?

Reaction score
Reaction score
They would need to make sure that this is a worldwide project, then. If they restrict their market to the US (as they initially did with the barge), they may lose a lot of potential customers.

Also, this method would still not solve the primary conflict among collectors: Some want even more of the same character because it's not "definite" enough (and a re-do couldn't guarantee that the new one would be), while others would want to get precisely those never-done-before, never-had-a-chance third-liners that have been dismissed in an earlier post as "couldn't pick them out of a line".

And: Concepts like "I buy your X if you buy my Y" require an amount of personal trust between "members" that is not really there.

Apart from that, I would really love to know what the lowest feasible production run for a figure / a vehicle might be. We know what the barge required; was that a one-off or a general number that can be taken as basis for any other product?
It certainly would be beneficial to all if they could figure out a way to deal with all markets...

I think the issue of definitive comes in mainly with the most visible characters. You don't see people asking for a definitive Hem Dazon because there was no body. I also don't think you would see characters like Luke, Han, Anakin, Rey, etc in this format.

I think this would be a limited service in terms of characters. There are clearly a number that I believe would have enough push to get made.
Imperial Dignitary, Tonnika sisters, and maybe some like the TROS training scene Luke and Leia type figures, but depending on what numbers they'd need to 'pre-sell' I'm not totally sure what we should expect.

I mean, I want Zayne Carrick, but some would say "Who's that?" I saw a list above that had names on there that I had to admit I did not know. Would I rather have all figures represented in one 3.75" line available in stores, ABSOLUTELY!!! But we're looking at a reality where you can't get stuff in stores and sometimes even getting them online is a chore, so would I pay a bit of a premium to be sure to get what I want? I'm leaning YES.

Currently waiting on a couple customs I had made... not happy I'm paying too much but they are characters at this point I believe have 0 chance of retail.

Tulgah

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
That’s a great question. Ten thousand? It all would come down to what they charged. If it were $24.99 per fig, many collectors would leave in disgust. But many others would be all too happy, as they would be getting EXACTLY what they want. If someone said “Hey, I’ll sell you this brand-new, photo-real fully SA TVC Admiral Piett, Sim Aloo, Solomahal, Farmboy Luke, Velken Tezeri, and Ezra Bridger for $150,” I’d say yes. I’m already spending $84 for a wave of four figures I don’t really want.
I'm paying $250 for 4 figures I absolutely want custom sculpt and paint and delivered from Europe. Gailid, Merc Pilot with black helmet, Yotts Orren, Danz Borin. The first 3 for the skiff obvs, but I want Danz Borin to go with my yellow spacer dude that I had painted a while ago.

I would just be hitting “Buy” left and right. Darth Revan in black? Click. Jedi Revan in white? Click. Bea Arthur? Double Click. It would be more fun than anything.
I'd be pretty pumped to pay $25 for the ones I want. Zayne? Check, Rycar Ryjerd? Check, Fozec? Check,

Caas_Sandhri

Reaction score
I think the issue of definitive comes in mainly with the most visible characters. You don't see people asking for a definitive Hem Dazon because there was no body. I also don't think you would see characters like Luke, Han, Anakin, Rey, etc in this format.
Fascinating. Tulgah just included a Farmboy Luke in the post before, so... yes, this is definitely a chasm between collectors in terms of expectations.

I mean, I want Zayne Carrick, but some would say "Who's that?" I saw a list above that had names on there that I had to admit I did not know. Would I rather have all figures represented in one 3.75" line available in stores, ABSOLUTELY!!! But we're looking at a reality where you can't get stuff in stores and sometimes even getting them online is a chore, so would I pay a bit of a premium to be sure to get what I want? I'm leaning YES.
Of the figures mentioned in that really long list from some years back - I know them all except one (I think) (although I admit I can't tell who's who in the Naberrie family), and these were all movie figures, so I guess I could add a hundred or so EU figures.

But there's the rub. The EU is slowly sliding into obscurity; although Marvel did a rerun of the Dark Horse material, many collectors will have either never read these comics, or have forgotten about the details so to drum up their interest is difficult. Even though some of my favorite figure candidates are from the EU, I must accept that they are simply not as well know as a movie character. With Disney killing the old EU, this is not improving the situation. (Not to speak of books, where even the look of characters is debatable.)

While the movies are still-present, they are a limited source of figures, and one day they will be exhausted to the last shoddily-clad peasant cantina patron - if no new material is created.

Disney is indeed creating new material galore, but it still remains to prove that these TV series, limited to Disney+ subscribers, will be able to create sufficient interest for toys (esp. if we think of the topic here, toys for both collectors and kids). If we mercifully forget about the ancient and not-too-well received Droids and Ewoks series, and skip the newer animated series Clone Wars, Rebels, and Resistance who all came with animated-style figures only, the only example for figures for live action TV series are two new characters from The Mandalorian (and two repaints). There was enough material in the last season to create a dozen figures, but Hasbro seems a bit reluctant to go all-in, even with the next movie years out.

So, the support we must gather for a "figure club" like that needs to cover:
- New movies (maybe - this should go to the brick and mortar stores though)
- New TV series (still unproven - but I would like to see them in the shops as well)
- "Definitive" figures of already done SA figures, as far as desired/necessary
- SA versions of already done 5-7POA figures (when I say SA, I mean 9POA upwards as needed - not overdone)
- Missing second- and third-liners from movies
- Realistic versions of previously done animated-style figures
- Missing animated series figures (in realistic style)
- New EU comics (I am very on the edge about books). Not impossible, Aphra is from that category
- Old (Dark Horse) EU comics (a treasure of figures, but sadly it may be difficult to get Disney/Hasbro to support them)
- Cut scenes figures
- Concept and Art Of figures
- Ancient obscurities (like figures from the old Marvel comics, or the first few books, or the Droids and Ewoks series, or the Holiday special, or the Ewok movies). Hey, this covers Jaxxon at least.

(In order of saleability, as I see it.)

keknivek

Reaction score
So, the support we must gather for a "figure club" like that needs to cover:
- New movies (maybe - this should go to the brick and mortar stores though)
- New TV series (still unproven - but I would like to see them in the shops as well)
- "Definitive" figures of already done SA figures, as far as desired/necessary
- SA versions of already done 5-7POA figures (when I say SA, I mean 9POA upwards as needed - not overdone)
- Missing second- and third-liners from movies
- Realistic versions of previously done animated-style figures
- Missing animated series figures (in realistic style)
- New EU comics (I am very on the edge about books). Not impossible, Aphra is from that category
- Old (Dark Horse) EU comics (a treasure of figures, but sadly it may be difficult to get Disney/Hasbro to support them)
- Cut scenes figures
- Concept and Art Of figures
- Ancient obscurities (like figures from the old Marvel comics, or the first few books, or the Droids and Ewoks series, or the Holiday special, or the Ewok movies). Hey, this covers Jaxxon at least.

(In order of saleability, as I see it.)
I'm as big of a cheerleader for the EU as you will find, so bring on all the obscure!!

My point was how many of those would have the 'saleability' to meet a number like the 10,000 barges that were sold. (I'm assuming they'd need to sell more than 10,000 of an individual action figure.)

I feel that there are a lot of figures yet to be made or that could very easily be redone just from the 11 core movies and other movie and TV properties. I don't expect a ton will come from the likes of Droids, Ewoks, Holiday Special, or Books with little visual reference. Clone Wars is rich with candidates though. EU has tons of untapped potential.

keknivek

Reaction score
Looking at my list I see everything from characters with talking parts like Clieg Lars, Kitster and Wald, to figures with a lot of screen time like a realistic Cad Bane or the Ghost crew, to Simple repaints like Blue Leader or Brethupp.

I feel like there are so many cool aliens and droids that we've missed out on too... ME-8D9, Bobajo, Derrown, Weeteef Cyubee.... :(