Indiana Jones - Rumors and Confirmations

Reaction score
Hell, I'd be happy if they did a single wave of 6 3.75 figures for the new film, a second wave re-released "greatest hits" figures and then another wave of all the planned, but aborted items from the original line.

Realistically, I can't imagine they'd do more than that in the 3.75 scale. Maybe a new-movie vehicle and a re-release of the truck.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Also if they reissue some figures, it would be great if they would use the classic style packages they used for the Raiders figures. Very similar to the original SW figures with actual pictures from the film on front.

ThallJoben

Reaction score
Reaction score
I had to order the TOD wave, which was pretty scary due to the iffy paint jobs on this line. Fortunately, they all came with great paint apps. I wouldn't mind seeing them do a limited run of select figures with vintage style packaging ala TVC. Heck, they could just re-release the same characters that were in the vintage line and then maybe a few from the other films.

I know it's not a popular thought, but I would really love to see some 6" Indy figures.

xfamousnicknaro

Reaction score
Reaction score
If they do anything, I really doubt that Hasbro would invest in a lot of new tooling for updates of previously released characters. I could see them re-releasing some of them with the photo real paint apps though. TBH, most of the figures were pretty good...especially the later ones.

DarthMickeyMoose

Reaction score
Reaction score
Yeah I think the Last Crusade, Temple of Doom, and final Raiders SDCC wave are pretty amazing. I think that last exclusive wave did give us probably the best default Indy. It was that first wave that didn't age very well. What I WOULD like to see re-released are the Raiders vehicles, the truck and car. I always thought they missed an opportunity to make a playset out of the Raiders opening scene temple but at least they made those deluxe vignettes of it.

But there def. still are plenty of figures that didn't get made. How was a minecart deluxe never made? How? The Last Crusade tank and motorcycle with side car! The Flying Wing!

Actually the later released Hasbro TOD and the Last crusade figures + the Raiders SDCC figures from the set were very well done. It was the first waves out with Crystal Skull and Raiders figures ( and sets) that were just terrible. Hasbro stated at the time it was because of a new factory and that those issues would be resolved. They did eventually fix the issues on the figures but of course that came to late. The last crusade figures were dumped into clearance stores for the most part and the Temple of doom figures were only available at some unusual internet only stores. The SDCC set was a fight to get outside of the convention and now can go as high as $400 for just 6 figures. I would certainly buy the small figures again if they were issued on classic styled cards. I thought the package design on the Hasbro figures was terrible.
You TOTALLY beat me to it.

Billy_Ray

Reaction score
Reaction score
I’m sure most of us were around for the Indy line. In 2008, I was 22 and took the day off the day everything was released and bought it all. Even the wonky paint apps didn’t diminish my excitement much. I was just so happy to finally have Indiana Jones action figures!

While I’m still happy to have them, just looking at them objectively, they’re clearly dated. Not just the bad face paint, but soft sculpts throughout. Indy himself is pretty tiny.

I wouldn’t put it past Hasbro to just dust off the old figures and rerelease them, but I really HOPE they don’t do that. This is the chance to do it right and do it better.

Kooshmeister

Reaction score
Issues with the figures themselves aside, to this day, I believe that what actually killed the line was an over-saturation of the first two waves. Two Mutts and too many of them. And too many Crystal Skull figures in general. While I defend the movie, I can't pretend other people didn't like it, and consequently the figures weren't popular, least of all Mutt.

And as for the Raiders figures, I'm sorry to say that, with a couple of exceptions, they were really lousy in the character selection department. No one wants Monkey Man and Cairo Swordsman. And while, yes, Belloq in the ceremonial robes was a mail-in figure back in the day and having him released singly in the main line is great, the fact remains it's another "guy in a robe" figure and way too scene-specific to be of much play value. Why they didn't give us Belloq in his white suit that he's in for almost the entire movie, or, heck, even Belloq in his pith helmet and safari gear from the beginning, is beyond me.

Even the Crystal Skull wave had better character selection. Mostly. We never did get a Mac. Or an Oxley. But we got the majority of characters who mattered. The only problem was, as noted, nobody seemed to want them. And even if they had, the market was over-saturated with them. There weren't very many army builders, and past a certain point it should've been obvious that everyone who was already going to buy the individual characters had done so, at which point they should've moved on to the next wave. I dunno whether it was Hasbro or the stores themselves, or both, but someone badly overestimated demand for the first couple of waves.

The waves for Last Crusade and Temple of Doom had better character selection, but the former was basically a blip in stores and if you saw the latter in a store, the planets had aligned just right for you, since they never really made it to stores due to them still choking on the leftovers from waves 1-2 that nobody wanted.

Last edited:

Billy_Ray

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
True, though Toht and the German mechanic were available from the SDCC set, they should have been in the regular line! Belloq really is a mystery...should have been a no brainer. Even in the vintage line we got a plain clothes version, though not the classic white suit.

MysterioMaximus

Reaction score
I mean I do get why the Cairo Swordsman and Monkey Man were made, but I didn't get the urgency of them over much more important roles like Toht, Mechanic, and even Dietrich. Dietrich isn't too terrible as I really do think the German soldier (2-Pack version in green) is an adequate...enough...stand-in. But I'd rather have had him made full on screen accurate than not at all or a generic substitute. Perhaps even more bizarre is the Cairo Thug 2-Pack. It's soooo generic and bland and based off a body mold that is really questionably engineered. I can understand the lack of Marcus in a Raiders wave, he's so minor. He's more fit for Crusade as he actually goes on the adventure. My biggest annoyance is Belloq though and as stated, the figure we did get (which of course I did also want too...just...) just doesn't fit in any diorama or scene outside of the Ark opening. I'd much prefer the suited version. Toht, which I feel very fortunate to own that SDCC exclusive set, however is utterly perfect. Maybe my favorite figure in the ENTIRE line. Him or the giant Thuggee. Plus the lost potential for more Raiders deluxe sets. The boulder, the well of souls, the map room.

I guess there just wasn't enough interest in the line to really get much out of Doom and Crusade...which is very unfortunate. For Doom there was a lot more I'd have liked to have seen. The Maharaja with voodoo doll, Chattar Lal, Thuggee Acolyte with scaled stone, Thuggee Assassin, Possessed Indy, Club Obi-Wan Indy with scale urn, Lao Che with poison, Club Obi-Wan Willie Scott...I mean there's more you could do too. Deluxe sets would have been incredible. A mine cart with build-able track system seems a gimmie. They could have even done two, one for the heroes and one for the villains with different track pieces includes: straight-away, curves, and dips. I'd have died for something like that. The spike room and bug pit are another. Lastly, why not the sacrificial cage with the statue to dip people into lava? Ha! Perhaps something with the bridge? So much potential. Indiana Jones just seems a prime candidate for playsets.

For Crusade, Brody, Sallah as he appears in this film, Kazim, and Donovan seem the outright obvious choices to me but I wouldn't mind "Panama Hat," German attire Elsa (wooooooowzers), and perhaps a suited Indy from the Venice scenes. This one seem more prime, to me, for vehicles. The motorcycle with sidecar and tank seem to like a straight up "duh," but you could even do a Venice boat and the biplane. Cool deluxe sets would have been perhaps the knights tomb with a bunch of rats and naturally all the tricks and traps in the final temple.

I think a lot of the issue for the short lived nature of the line came down to two things: The initial waves were engineered oddly, bizarre articulation or simply rendered immobile in places, and painted even worse. Thankfully it got way better. I'll never forget the googly eyed Indy's. The secondly, as much as I hate to say it, it does seem to be more a niche audience. It just doesn't seem to have the lasting power of something like Star Wars or Superheroes.

I actually liked the gimmick of the included artifacts. I know a lot of collectors hate when they do stuff like that, pack-in extras, but I thought this one was downright fun. I even found myself buying some Crystal Skull figures just FOR the artifact. Plus they worked pretty well with 6'' figures. I even kept the little cardboard crates they came in.

DarthMickeyMoose

Reaction score
Speaking of Mac ( I for one would have never bought that figure.) I really thought it was one of the worst characters ever written. He was tossed out to us in frame one of the film as Indy’s long time pal. ( Mac who? No never heard of him) Let’s see now Indy’s longtime friend, then a double cross, then spy, then double agent spy, then back stabber then Indy’s friend again then greedy thief. l can’t tell you how many times when watching the film I wanted Indy to just turn and blast him. Example: Indy- now you’re double agent? (Blam- Blam!) Now your a spy in hell- next scene.

Indy was gun neutered in this film as well. I guess Indy’s treasure now (like the Aliens) is knowledge.

澳门网上彩票合法么Kooshmeister

Reaction score
Also if they reissue some figures, it would be great if they would use the classic style packages they used for the Raiders figures. Very similar to the original SW figures with actual pictures from the film on front.
I hope not. Gonna go against the grain and say I never liked those yellow abominations. Worse, it's a look that has seemed to permeate the franchise for years on all sorts of merchandise, including the '08 toy line.

Last edited:

MysterioMaximus

Reaction score
Speaking of Mac ( I for one would have never bought that figure.) I really thought it was one of the worst characters ever written. He was tossed out to us in frame one of the film as Indy’s long time pal. ( Mac who? No never heard of him) Let’s see now Indy’s longtime friend, then a double cross, then spy, then double agent spy, then back stabber then Indy’s friend again then greedy thief. l can’t tell you how many times when watching the film I wanted Indy to just turn and blast him. Example: Indy- now you’re double agent? (Blam- Blam!) Now your a spy in hell- next scene.

Indy was gun neutered in this film as well. I guess Indy’s treasure now (like the Aliens) is knowledge.
100% agreed. Willie Scott somehow doesn't look so bad anymore. He was so convoluted. Back and forth and back and forth and back again. What? Really l would be fine with him if they kept in tradition and he dies in Act 1 much like Sapito right after his betrayal. I will never understand why, just why, does Indy try to save him at the end? And to top it off, suddenly he's like "I'm gonna be alright," what? Firstly, how does he know that? And secondly, were we supposed to feel pity? SCREW THAT SCUMBAG! I kept dreaming of a re-write where he fails at something for Spalko and she just guts him with that sword...the one she never REALLY gets to use in any menacing way. If you're gonna give her a sword, have her kill someone with it to establish a real threat and I think Mac is the prime candidate. NOPE! Or better yet, perhaps she impales him after he's fulfilled his purpose for her and no longer is useful. That would make her utterly threatening, but nope...they decided to make the Russians mostly bumbling. Mac is, hands down, my least favorite Indy character. And lord knows, if I had to hear him scream "Jonesy" ONE MORE TIME. He screams it like 12 times, I swear.

gijigsaw

Reaction score
I still have all my cardboard crates and loved the artifacts. I also liked the Cairo thug 2 packs. Need to do my Cairo street fight diorama one of these days.

Lance_Quazar

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess your average man on the street doesn't care about them, but they were in the vintage line and really, the more villains the better.
Monkey Man should have been in, say, a 3rd Raiders wave. Would happily have sacrificed him for a Dietrich or a suit and/or safari belloq or for his "lookalike" Barranca.

Lance_Quazar

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess your average man on the street doesn't care about them, but they were in the vintage line and really, the more villains the better.
Monkey Man should have been in, say, a 3rd Raiders wave. Would happily have sacrificed him for a Dietrich or a suit and/or safari belloq or for his "lookalike" Barranca.
I still have all my cardboard crates and loved the artifacts. I also liked the Cairo thug 2 packs. Need to do my Cairo street fight diorama one of these days.
I still have the boxed Streets of Cairo figure set. I have never been a collector of boxed or packaged items, but I love that little diorama scene inside the box so much I'll never, ever open it. I also had the tank set and stupidly years ago opened it and junked the box just to save space. AND i took my "backup" truck out of the box, too. SO DUMB!

Hell_Hawk_33

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Random dioramas I did over the years.

hovitos.jpgIJ_AdventureHeroes.JPGindy_kotcs.jpgkenner_ij1.jpgkenner_ij2.jpglego_ij1.jpgROTLA.JPG

MysterioMaximus

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
My only regret from the 08 line was passing on the Deluxe set with the Ark (multiple times). What was I thinking?