Jabba's Sail Barge

Reaction score
That would be really great! Having a little box with Threepio’s speech would enhance the whole diorama. You maybe also should add Han saying:

“Threepio, you tell that slimy piece of worm-hidden filth he’ll get no such pleasure from us! Right?”

It’s one of the great lines!

Last edited:
Reaction score
The sails are a bit too low to see all the figures on the top deck clearly.
If the sails sat higher, they would ruins the lines of the barge. That's the compromise required for the barge being undersized (but I can't really imagine it being bigger either).

bespin_boy

Reaction score
I’m looking forward to this. I bought two the first time around and thought $500.00 (US) was a steal considering it‘s size and details. Yes it’s not perfect to scale with the 3.75 figures but it could definitely pass for a high-end replica of the actual miniature used in ROTJ. Jabba’s banquet room is as close to a small scale replica of the real thing that we’ll ever get. The minute details from the wood paneling, wall trophies, shutters and the epic mural of Jabba and his slaves are near mint! If it gives more fans the opportunity to snag one then I’m all for it.

As a new Vintage Collection play-set, I’d like an updated and complete Sarlaac Pit piece with correct amount of tentacles and teeth that comes with a strong plastic sand (bowl-style) base with ability to be removed from base and planted in the sand for outdoor play! I’d prefer the vintage-style version which means no “Little Shop of Horrors” mouth but it will include both options. The rim at the top of the “sand bowl” will have the option to connect the bases of 2 TVC skiffs and it will come with one or two exclusive figures (Velken Tezeri & Weequay 1).

snydboshawn

Reaction score
Reaction score
If the sails sat higher, they would ruins the lines of the barge. That's the compromise required for the barge being undersized (but I can't really imagine it being bigger either).
That’s true.

Darthmalgus

Reaction score
That would be really great! Having a little box with Threepio’s speech would enhance the whole diorama. You maybe also should add Han saying:

“Threepio, you tell that slimy piece of worm-hidden filth he’ll get no such pleasure from us! Right?”

It’s one of the great lines!
No it wouldn't be great. How many times would you want to listen to those repetitive clips? Assuming you are not 5 years old.

StarFin

Reaction score
I always wanted some sounds and lights on the barge for the price, along with some other minor do dads...and this:
You can put that song on one of these and hide it somewhere in the Barge.

eightball

Reaction score
Reaction score
No it wouldn't be great. How many times would you want to listen to those repetitive clips? Assuming you are not 5 years old.
That's really great insight on a toy site's toy thread - thank YOU!

Sounds would have absolutely completed the whole package and it was the only thing missing from a very expensive project. It would have been so easy and cheap for Hasbro to include.

snydboshawn

Reaction score
I disagree. Every time someone who had not seen the barge yet, I could hit that feature.. I would have control of the button so if I got tired of hearing it I could do something amazing and...not push it.:oops::)
"Victims of the almighty Sarlacc....."

snydboshawn

Reaction score
You can put that song on one of these and hide it somewhere in the Barge.

Very cool. I might just grab one thanks!

Nibcrom

Reaction score

DarthMickeyMoose

Reaction score
Again look at what they did with the Legacy Falcon. Multiple lights and sounds. It would have made the Barge a far notch higher.

Obi_Wan_Kaboozie

Reaction score
Reaction score
About as many times as I've watched, and continue to watch, the movie would be my guess. 🤷‍♂️

Masterfett

Reaction score
It would also have made it even more expensive than it already was. Unless they had skimped on quality, which would have been a worse judgment call.
Oh you mean by like $5? Yeah, I can totally see where that would break us when were okay with shoveling out $500 it already. lol

澳门网上彩票合法么DarthMickeyMoose

Reaction score
It would also have made it even more expensive than it already was. Unless they had skimped on quality, which would have been a worse judgment call.
It's not that expensive. I'm in the Toy biz and just did some items with lights and sounds. You just saw the link above for $5.00 you can add 120 different sounds and effects. It would have no effect on the Barge quality except to make it a better item. It's shame.

SaberSonic83

Reaction score
Don't fool yourself, Hasbro made so much overhead profit on the Barge it's not even funny. They not only should have tossed electronics in it for no uncharge at all, but they should have thrown in another figure to boot. I bought it and proudly display it, but if you think for a second that the Barge was "worth" $500, it's not even close. As someone in another thread wisely sourced, the BMF today (going by it's initial $150 price) would be $190 today adjusted with inflation. If that's the case, I really can't see the Barge selling for the honest and fair price of $250 to a maximum of $300. Going off that, Hasbro clearly made 200% profit on the Galaxy's Edge BMF and one could easily figure the same for the Barge.

The main reason I paid so much was because there was no other way to get it - and Hasbro clearly knew that and capitalized on it, holding us hostage essentially to obtain what we wanted. I'm not a fan at all of the crowdfunding practice as it almost always leads to inflated sales for the host and doesn't present any kind of value. Still, I gladly played the game and paid up, but I'm certainly not stupid and know Hasbro got much more out of me than they deserved, even for an all-star vehicle like the Barge. Make no mistake, it's probably the greatest toy I own.

EmperorOne

Reaction score
As someone in another thread wisely sourced, the BMF today (going by it's initial $150 price) would be $190 today adjusted with inflation. If that's the case, I really can't see the Barge selling for the honest and fair price of $250 to a maximum of $300. Going off that, Hasbro clearly made 200% profit on the Galaxy's Edge BMF and one could easily figure the same for the Barge.
While it's true the price would have only gone up $40-$50 if prices had risen in line with inflation, keep in mind inflation tracks the value of money, it doesn't act as a universal gauge for figuring out what something today should be valued at. If that was true a $200k house would only have risen to $229k in value since 2011, but of course anyone that watches real estate knows that isn't the case in most markets. Likewise wage growth hasn't kept up with inflation, at least in the U.S. So while I do think $400 for the Falcon and $500 for the barge is excessive, we have to remember costs for Hasbro have changed. And I don't mean the cost of plastic, labor, or shipping, though those are all likely factors. The biggest culprit IMO is the House of Mouse, and what I imagine are insane licensing fees and per movie minimum guarantees they made Hasbro committ to. I forget what video it was exactly, but I know for the prequels hasbro had to basically guarantee something crazy like $200 million to George for episode one. I can only imagine the new films came with even pricier stipulations. But that's almost the deal with the devil we have to suffer through to be getting the resurgence in Star Wars content we have received.

Last edited:

Caas_Sandhri

Reaction score
It's not that expensive. I'm in the Toy biz and just did some items with lights and sounds. You just saw the link above for $5.00 you can add 120 different sounds and effects. It would have no effect on the Barge quality except to make it a better item. It's shame.
Not sure whether the cost would be just the electronics cost. Knowing Disney, there may be an additional premium license fee on using sound snippets from the movies. I remember other toys where new voices were used instead of the movie ones; don't ask me whether there's a connection...

(I would also point out that not every country speaks English so any voices would have to be licensed multiple times... except the Barge wasn't really readily available outside the US so that might not have been a consideration.)

Personally, I would have preferred a proper lighting for the interior that might have brought out scenes better.

eightball

Reaction score
Reaction score
I forget what video it was exactly, but I know for the prequels hasbro had to basically guarantee something crazy like $200 million to George for episode one. I can only imagine the new films came with even pricier stipulations.
Overvaluing your own license says "what?". They priced Hasbro out of the miniatures game, and they're pricing us adults out of the toys...

Personally I think Disney is gonna optimize products to profit from the bifurcation of American incomes. Most kids get really low quality RP lightsabers, the kids of techies (and adult techie collectors) get bizarrely overpriced action figures. Both these product lines have higher margins than a reasonable middle ground.

SaberSonic83

Reaction score
Not sure whether the cost would be just the electronics cost. Knowing Disney, there may be an additional premium license fee on using sound snippets from the movies. I remember other toys where new voices were used instead of the movie ones; don't ask me whether there's a connection...

(I would also point out that not every country speaks English so any voices would have to be licensed multiple times... except the Barge wasn't really readily available outside the US so that might not have been a consideration.)

Personally, I would have preferred a proper lighting for the interior that might have brought out scenes better.
If this was the case, then why did the Falcon feature all kinds of sounds and dialogue? You'd figure actor's dialogue would be a premium too, yet just 10 years ago, the Falcon was put out for $150 to start. Doesn't sound like they broke the bank with that theory.

TauntaunScout

Reaction score
Inflation is not a rising tide that floats all ships. Since I was a child:

Wages haven't kept up with it. Housing, education, and healthcare have (far) outpaced it. Movies, music, and computers have fallen (far) behind it. And here's the biggie, Hasbro: TOYS have fallen behind inflation. That's why kids today have so many of them. Just. Not Star Wars toys. They are overpriced vs inflation for an object of comparable play value. The famously expensive LEGO for example, costs less per piece count in the sets, adjusting for inflation. Star Wars toys cost a lot because fans will pay it. See also: absurd eBay prices for current toys.

Why do you think everyone says "no presents, please" at kid's birthday parties now? Because if we didn't our houses would fill with cheap crap plastic. I find AMAZING toys at thrift stores because people have so many, after a couple years they donate things that would've been heirlooms in my day.

Edit: Before I am accused of trawling for being the one that brought the CPI calculator into it in the first place... I think the CPI calculator is important but it's just part of the conversation. And whether or not it's a good deal in how much a given toy costs vs inflation for the 70's/80's equivalent also gets into features and other things. But loads of other companies have *somehow* managed to figure out how to use technology to keep costs the same or lower, while adding ever more detail to their toys. So. Yeah. I blame the licensing costs, for ruining Star Wars playthings.

Interestingly, toys have been consistently falling behind inflation every generation since WWII. So, every new round of adults rolls their eyes at how much stuff kids have. My parents couldn't believe how much more stuff we had than they did, and I can't believe how much stuff my kids have. It is the circle of life. And consumerism. The circle of life and consumerism.

Last edited:

VideoViper

Reaction score
Reaction score
There is actually several areas in the Barge that a sound chip could have been placed, possibly more if done by Hasbro during designing and construction. After the fact it would require modifications to the vehicle itself. Which is why I was just going to place a sound chip near it hidden by scenery in the dio.

If this was the case, then why did the Falcon feature all kinds of sounds and dialogue? You'd figure actor's dialogue would be a premium too, yet just 10 years ago, the Falcon was put out for $150 to start. Doesn't sound like they broke the bank with that theory.
If licensing fees were the culprit for the Barge not getting them, the BMF might be different because it was made before Disney era of ownership. So perhaps the agreement was already built in. Plus it being reissued as GE version probably get a pass because it's marketed as an ST item and includes those new sounds?
not to mention the fact the BMF mold has already paid for itself by now, as any mold that seen repeat use would have.

The Barge may not have had that option available to them at the time of designing it. Something to brig up at a Q&A perhaps, on why sounds were not included?

VideoViper

Reaction score
Honestly (& some of you may not agree) but as far as Kickstarter style campaigns go the barge was just horribly run. Great product, but no real steam to get the word out other than fan channels. So in a lot of ways the fans (whether you ordered one or not.) made this possible.

There was an anouncement & maybe a few publicly placed "coverage" stories, but if you were not following the forums/facebook Star Wars you likely never would have known it existed. Which is sad because it probably could have been funded on the "don't collect anymore/vintage childhood collection" crowd.

There were few is any campaign bumps, Yakface & maybe that prisoner???

None of the usual if X number get backed.... it we add Jabba, Yakface, sarlac, Bob the driver etc.

SaberSonic83

Reaction score
I always loved this customizable card game - but I had ZERO clue how to play it! I just collected the awesome cards and had a faint idea of which one might be worth a little more. I still have all my old ones and a few WIDESCREEN cards as well. These were a great way pre-internet to find out cool intel and facts on objects and characters in the SW universe. I loved that I could stare at a closeup shot of a random blaster that was seen in a split-second on-screen. Definitely spent a lot of time inspecting all the cool gadget cards.

TauntaunScout

Reaction score
I will sell you a big binder of widescreens. In the official ANH binder Topps made for them and everything.

My impression is that Hasbro is insanely cheap and stingy compared to other toy companies. If they can save literally a few pennies, they must. I have no evidence for this beyond the products themselves compared to other toys my kids like.