Jurassic World 2 Mattel Toys

Reaction score
Reaction score
They seem to be making more human figures, well one at least. Based of one of the kids from the Netflix Camp Cretaceous series.
it's been a while so i don't know for sure, but that figure looks like it's a reuse of something form another line. At least the jacket and pants remind me of something I bought several years ago.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
I picked up the Amber Dilophosaurus at a local comic store today. It's another great one, takes me right back to 2nd grade!

The swappable neck and venom spit attachment are pretty cool, though the JP road sign is kind of cheap and weirdly constructed. I almost thought it was made out of foam core board while it was still in the box.

The only complaint I have is the same that I had for the velociraptor: they both would be over the top perfect figures if they had some kind of midsection torso joint. They're always going to look a bit stiff in some poses without it. And the paint jobs aren't terrific but I don't expect perfection from relatively low priced Mattel and Hasbro stuff.

sharky

Reaction score

Hell_Hawk_33

Reaction score
Looks like my newest Amber figs are going to be here tomorrow. I ended up ordering a third Dilo so I can display one with frill, one without frill, and leave on MIP. Just one Nedry for now but I may look at getting another and try my hand at painting some Dilo venom on his shirt where it gets him the first shot.

Zepp_Head

Reaction score
20200724_002012(1).jpg
Found this at Target this evening. It was the last one left. They also had Legacy mini dino 15 packs and lots of the new Camp Cretaceous line available. I recall a large Trex with sound, the large Stego set mentioned above by sharky, and a few other large size dinos.

HothHan

Reaction score
Picked up that set with Ellie and the Raptors specifically for Hammond and the banner. My kids will take the Dinos and I'm sure Ellie will find a home in my daughter's Frozen castle or something.

Hammond is a great figure

Attachments

Masterfett

Reaction score
Awesome find!
I'm a little envious of you guys that have targets, i wish it was a Target instead of a Walmart that is the closest big box retailer to me.

Hell_Hawk_33

Reaction score
Reaction score
Did you guys see the Amber Collection leaks from the Target system? If true that line is going to make a huge leap forward from just a couple figures here and there to full waves like Black Series.
I have not. I checked out a few sites, didn't see anything. What's the news?

Hell_Hawk_33

Reaction score
I have not. I checked out a few sites, didn't see anything. What's the news?
Credit to lasd over on JPToys for this info.

These entries were found in the Target system under Amber Collection.

And these entries were found under Legacy Collection, also in the Target system.

"Jurassic World Target Legacy Dino" DPCI: 087 16 9382 $9.99 (5 entries with this title plus 2 with Velociraptor, 1 with Dilophosaurus)

"JW Legacy Storytelling Build Up" DPCI: 087 16 9238 $29.99 (2 entries)

"Jurassic World Target Legacy T-Rex Bundle" DPCI: 087 16 6203 $49.99 (NOT the current Legacy T-Rex bundle which is $29.99. Could be an EC Rex and vehicle)

The member stressed multiple times just because these items are all in the system doesn't mean they're going to see the light of day or even be sold by Target (i.e. the Spino which Target barely carried, and was easier to get from retailers in Mexico and the UK)

MysterioMaximus

Reaction score
WHOA! Dr. Arnold is DEF. the biggest surprise! Also surprising on the Pyroraptor and Deinonychus. That's.....interesting...but I'm going to assume just retools of the Raptor body. Tiger raptor was only a matter of time, but that's probably my favorite raptor look so I'll buy it. Grant and Ellie were inevitable too, but them along with Hammond and Arnold is amazing. I really expected Claire and Muldoon before them. I never even thought we'd get Arnold at ALL! Pteranodon is amazing! I'm HOPING JP/// look. Dimorphodon is interesting. I really should have though of that before. Surprised no Styggy, I thought that would be the next Amber dino for sure.

Then Legacy too? Storytelling Build Up? What could that MEAN? Fences? And pleeeeeease tell me the T-Rex bundle has the explorer with Lex, Tim, and Genarro.

LOTS of potential here. Who's Kayla? Camp Cretaceous?

AgentClaret

Reaction score
Bring on the Amber dinos!

SaberSonic83

Reaction score
Credit to lasd over on JPToys for this info.

These entries were found in the Target system under Amber Collection.

And these entries were found under Legacy Collection, also in the Target system.

"Jurassic World Target Legacy Dino" DPCI: 087 16 9382 $9.99 (5 entries with this title plus 2 with Velociraptor, 1 with Dilophosaurus)

"JW Legacy Storytelling Build Up" DPCI: 087 16 9238 $29.99 (2 entries)

"Jurassic World Target Legacy T-Rex Bundle" DPCI: 087 16 6203 $49.99 (NOT the current Legacy T-Rex bundle which is $29.99. Could be an EC Rex and vehicle)

The member stressed multiple times just because these items are all in the system doesn't mean they're going to see the light of day or even be sold by Target (i.e. the Spino which Target barely carried, and was easier to get from retailers in Mexico and the UK)
I'm banging my head against a wall - so few Legacy reveals. I'm guessing either JPIII raptors or a JP paint job to go with the new set. The Dilo is at least a start. The Legacy T-Rex bundle sounds cool, but for love of God Mattel - STOP WITH THE TERRIBLE EC REX! It's atrocious how underscaled it is every single time it's released. They get every other Rex right - literally every single other Rex but the Legacy one! How is that even possible?

The "storytelling" label cracks me up - like kids are too lazy to even go back and watch the originals so we have to treat it like story time for them? Even that feels like a slap in the face. My guess is it will be Nedry with his Jeep (plastic top and muddied with light bar) and a Dilo. The other is most likely Tim and Lex with a crushed Explorer. Then again - that is WAY too much wishful thinking for Mattel!

All this after I just got back from a Target searching for the new Legacy Set, found none, just Camp Cretacious stuff and yet online it tells me it's IN STOCK at that store and that I can't order it online haha. Thanks Target!

Last edited:

HothHan

Reaction score
I'm only interested in Jurassic Park (like the first movie) 3.75" humans

DarthPete

Reaction score
Reaction score
Boy they're really going all in on the Amber collection..
I'm happy about it. Given the limited number of releases so far and lack of places even carrying this line I didn't have much hope for it's future.

Coloring

Reaction score
Reaction score
Boy they're really going all in on the Amber collection..
Which is EXACTLY what they promised wouldn't happen - "it will be a small subline and not come at the cost of the 3.75" figures"....yeah right! Guess they learned from Hasbro where the money is and scrapped pretty much everything cool that Legacy COULD and SHOULD have offered. I just remember distinctly them saying Amber would be a small line and that it wouldn't affect the main JP line. So much for that - I was at a Target yesterday that still had 500 Owens and even 2 Zias! That was like a miracle a year ago. No Legacy anything to speak of....broken promises, very typical and missing the HUGE fanbase target as usual. JP is where their real money is at, they have no clue.

Coloring

Reaction score
Last time I was at target I actually saw a Maisie! Even if they were making generic park workers/dino wranglers, I'd be excited about that.

SaberSonic83

Reaction score
Last time I was at target I actually saw a Maisie! Even if they were making generic park workers/dino wranglers, I'd be excited about that.
Same, anything would be better than the garden variety "heroes" clogging the shelves. Granted, not many kids probably want " generic hard hat man", but I sure do!

HothHan

Reaction score
Same, anything would be better than the garden variety "heroes" clogging the shelves. Granted, not many kids probably want " generic hard hat man", but I sure do!
Definitely. For me a full fledged JP (not JW but I get that a full line would have to include both) would be like a second Star Wars line for me.

I'd buy Grant (Dig Site), Grant (T-Rex Escape) etc etc etc for every character.

SaberSonic83

Reaction score
Definitely. For me a full fledged JP (not JW but I get that a full line would have to include both) would be like a second Star Wars line for me.

I'd buy Grant (Dig Site), Grant (T-Rex Escape) etc etc etc for every character.
Absolutely - they are alienating their core fans by constantly catering to JW and the ridiculous dinos they have been coming out with that have literally never set foot in a JP movie, game, nor universe for that matter. Loads of new sculpts for irrelevant dinos, ZERO new sculpts for humans outside of the awesome Nedry exclusive, which again, is an EXCLUSIVE and already sold out. Not helping out at all.

HothHan

Reaction score
Absolutely - they are alienating their core fans by constantly catering to JW and the ridiculous dinos they have been coming out with that have literally never set foot in a JP movie, game, nor universe for that matter. Loads of new sculpts for irrelevant dinos, ZERO new sculpts for humans outside of the awesome Nedry exclusive, which again, is an EXCLUSIVE and already sold out. Not helping out at all.
I'm hopeful that Nedry makes it out like Hammond did in some capacity. While I would obviously like the accessories etc I'm not going to go crazy for the exclusive.

SaberSonic83

Reaction score
I'm hopeful that Nedry makes it out like Hammond did in some capacity. While I would obviously like the accessories etc I'm not going to go crazy for the exclusive.
I'd much rather they reuse parts of him for a Control Room Nedry or a raincoat version. I really think Mattel needs to start thinking about soft goods, we could easily have 2 Nedry figures out it this way and then we'd buy more to have both versions. It's a no brainer, the raincoats are pretty essential to 3 characters' looks.

HothHan

Reaction score
I'd much rather they reuse parts of him for a Control Room Nedry or a raincoat version. I really think Mattel needs to start thinking about soft goods, we could easily have 2 Nedry figures out it this way and then we'd buy more to have both versions. It's a no brainer, the raincoats are pretty essential to 3 characters' looks.
Well yes that would be ideal. But realistically we will likely get a straight re-release of Nedry (sans extras) and I'll be ok with it.

While I'm here I'll just say that Fallen Kingdom was The Last Jedi of Jurassic movies...it sucked dino *****.

Kooshmeister

Reaction score
Absolutely - they are alienating their core fans by constantly catering to JW and the ridiculous dinos they have been coming out with that have literally never set foot in a JP movie, game, nor universe for that matter.
Theoretically their core fanbase is not the long-timers, but people more familiar with the recent films. Mostly kids, one would imagine. And, anyway, since day one, they included dinosaurs that weren't in the movies. A good chunk of the original Kenner offerings were more inspired by the novel than the film, such as the Young T-Rex and Stegosaurus. While I agree there ought to be more human figures, kids are more apt to buy cool-looking dinosaurs. And regardless of whether kids these days are interested in physical toys as much as they used to be (which doesn't seem to be the case), that isn't Mattel's fault. The problem is that they ought to focus more on adult collectors than kids, but they have steadfastly refused to, just like Hasbro has done with Star Wars. It isn't so much they content of the line but the customer base they're focusing on, which just is more interested in sports, cell phones and video games and not action figures.

I think they honestly use the "it's for kids" excuse to cheap out on certain things like accessories, paint, articulation, etc., basically offering often subpar figures to their real fanbase, the aforementioned adult collectors, without actually saying so, using the "for kids" excuse to excuse crummy paint, weak or nonexistent accessories, and often weird character choices, as well as things like relegating the original films to a dumb "legacy" line only available at Target and making next to nothing for it. I get that the more recent movies deserve priority in terms of marketing and merchandise, but still. Dang.

Last edited:

sharky

Reaction score
Another Target I visited got in a quite few of the Camp Adventure set. I'm hoping they will get similar quantities of the set with Hammond.

Last edited:

HothHan

Reaction score
Theoretically their core fanbase is not the long-timers, but people more familiar with the recent films. Mostly kids, one would imagine. And, anyway, since day one, they included dinosaurs that weren't in the movies. A good chunk of the original Kenner offerings were more inspired by the novel than the film, such as the Young T-Rex and Stegosaurus. While I agree there ought to be more human figures, kids are more apt to buy cool-looking dinosaurs. And regardless of whether kids these days are interested in physical toys as much as they used to be (which doesn't seem to be the case), that isn't Mattel's fault. The problem is that they ought to focus more on adult collectors than kids, but they have steadfastly refused to, just like Hasbro has done with Star Wars. It isn't so much they content of the line but the customer base they're focusing on, which just is more interested in sports, cell phones and video games and not action figures.

I think they honestly use the "it's for kids" excuse to cheap out on certain things like accessories, paint, articulation, etc., basically offering often subpar figures to their real fanbase, the aforementioned adult collectors, without actually saying so, using the "for kids" excuse to excuse crummy paint, weak or nonexistent accessories, and often weird character choices, as well as things like relegating the original films to a dumb "legacy" line only available at Target and making next to nothing for it. I get that the more recent movies deserve priority in terms of marketing and merchandise, but still. Dang.
I have no issues with them focusing on the kids line as long as they can use it as a vehicle to incorporate the legacy stuff with it. The cross germination worked well when TFK was out.

AgentClaret

Reaction score
I saw a few of the Hammond sets at my Target tonight.

Coloring

Reaction score
Personally, I couldn't care less if it said Jurassic Park or Jurassic World - the key word that helps it sell is Jurassic. All the movies are money makers and I'm sure the new one will too. I think theyve actually been really smart with the packaging. They've had these figures on shelves since early 2018, the last time a Jurassic movie was in theaters and every 8 months or so do a refresher on the colors and packaging, so it's noticeable when they refresh it. If they added wrist articulation, that'd be cool, otherwise I hope they keep it exactly the same.
'Catering to adult collectors' is just going to equate to them raising the price on Amber collection and maybe making that package a little nicer. And probably more exclusives that arent easy to find. Then anytime Mattel has to respond to a criticism of the mainline, they can stand behind the logic that "well, this is really the kids' line, the collector line is for things like that". Our old Kenner figures HARDLY resembled the characters from the movies at all, they can skimp on some details. They just can't skip the humans entirely. That's where they're losing me.

SaberSonic83

Reaction score
I've said before and I'll say it again, they need to do some retro inspired packaging for ALL the Legacy stuff. I know Mattel isn't Kenner (that'd be Hasbro) so I'm wondering if they have the rights to the palm tree sunset motif that was ubiquitous on all the JP stuff in the 90s. That was one thing that made JP so great - the branding was SO strong and tight. It never faltered or wavered. The simple JP logo that integrated the J into the P was genius. It made everything part of the same franchise with a simple stamp. I sense NOTHING like that with JW, outside of the foot logo on the bottom of the dinos. They are ADD with their packaging and while I get your points @Coloring about the why, I think it makes it feel like dino diarrhea honestly.

Legacy should all look the same so it's super easy to spot and identify. That's how good toy companies work. You don't see TMNT drastically changing their packaging every 8 months, they just have new figures. Look back at any JP collection and you'll see the awesome red packaging with the sunset palms on every single product, from dart guns to Bush Devil Trackers, to coloring books, to soaps, to figures to dinos. Now go look at any modern boxed collection from JW. It is freaking all over the place. It looks like trash to me - I've hated all of their packaging, though I suppose I like the most recent for it's use of orange (getting closer to the Kenner days) and the fences in the background. My point is, if Legacy is supposed to be catered to collectors then MAKE IT CATERED TO COLLECTORS! The last thing I want to see is Chris Prett and Blue shoved onto merch that has literally nothing to do with them whatsoever. It begs to have JP iconography and easily identifiable to the original franchise.

HothHan

Reaction score
I've said before and I'll say it again, they need to do some retro inspired packaging for ALL the Legacy stuff. I know Mattel isn't Kenner (that'd be Hasbro) so I'm wondering if they have the rights to the palm tree sunset motif that was ubiquitous on all the JP stuff in the 90s. That was one thing that made JP so great - the branding was SO strong and tight. It never faltered or wavered. The simple JP logo that integrated the J into the P was genius. It made everything part of the same franchise with a simple stamp. I sense NOTHING like that with JW, outside of the foot logo on the bottom of the dinos. They are ADD with their packaging and while I get your points @Coloring about the why, I think it makes it feel like dino diarrhea honestly.

Legacy should all look the same so it's super easy to spot and identify. That's how good toy companies work. You don't see TMNT drastically changing their packaging every 8 months, they just have new figures. Look back at any JP collection and you'll see the awesome red packaging with the sunset palms on every single product, from dart guns to Bush Devil Trackers, to coloring books, to soaps, to figures to dinos. Now go look at any modern boxed collection from JW. It is freaking all over the place. It looks like trash to me - I've hated all of their packaging, though I suppose I like the most recent for it's use of orange (getting closer to the Kenner days) and the fences in the background. My point is, if Legacy is supposed to be catered to collectors then MAKE IT CATERED TO COLLECTORS! The last thing I want to see is Chris Prett and Blue shoved onto merch that has literally nothing to do with them whatsoever. It begs to have JP iconography and easily identifiable to the original franchise.
I'm sure if they wanted to they can come up with a suitable "retro" design. Mattel does it with their WWE figures. There is an entire retro line and the packaging is almost an exact replica of the WWF Hasbro figures from 1990-1994. I personally don't see the appeal in retro packaging for JP. The cards and branding they used for the Legacy stuff over the past few years is good enough.

I've been a fan of the entire Mattel JW/JP packaging and figures. I just want MORE of the classic JP stuff.

SaberSonic83

Reaction score
I'm sure if they wanted to they can come up with a suitable "retro" design. Mattel does it with their WWE figures. There is an entire retro line and the packaging is almost an exact replica of the WWF Hasbro figures from 1990-1994. I personally don't see the appeal in retro packaging for JP. The cards and branding they used for the Legacy stuff over the past few years is good enough.

I've been a fan of the entire Mattel JW/JP packaging and figures. I just want MORE of the classic JP stuff.
That's a great point, I actually thought those were Hasbro throwbacks and not Mattel. They can clearly do it!

Hell_Hawk_33

Reaction score
Received my Amber Collection Charlie from BBTS today.

Also noticed EE charged my credit card for my Nedry exclusive and the order is now listed as processing, so those should be shipping out within days.

Masterfett

Reaction score
Reaction score
If they found a way to get that canceled lab set out that would interest me!

Saw the Hammond set but my want for him wasn't enough to justify $40.
I thought the Hammond set was $29.99? That lab would be such a cool set - I do really hope they do that somewhere down the line.

Masterfett

Reaction score
By the time shipping cost is added it's closer to $40, and as usual there was nothing else i wanted so i could bypass that charge.