Rebel Pilot Focus Collectors

Reaction score
Tucson, wretched hive of scum and villany
I loved those sets. I'd love to see one that has a blue Rogue One Y-wing pilot, an orange ANH Y-wing pilot, and an accurate grey ROTJ Y-Wing pilot. Wouldn't mind an X-wing set either with Blue Leader from Rogue one, Theron Nett from ANH, and Kier Santage from ROTJ. That set would knock 3 figures off the top of my wish list in short order!

Reaction score
I loved those sets. I'd love to see one that has a blue Rogue One Y-wing pilot, an orange ANH Y-wing pilot, and an accurate grey ROTJ Y-Wing pilot. Wouldn't mind an X-wing set either with Blue Leader from Rogue one, Theron Nett from ANH, and Kier Santage from ROTJ. That set would knock 3 figures off the top of my wish list in short order!
It still bugs me that we never got Theron Nett, instead we get Lt. Lepira who has zero screen time. If Rogue One came out during these Evolutions sets, we probably would have had a Blue Squadron pack released of Blue Leader, Blue Four (the pilot who yells for his wingman to pull up before he crashed into the shield gate) and a U-wing pilot.

Speaking of, I made my own Keir Santage figure.

105533804_1136318306735098_5860545617583675398_n.jpg

105701779_273278887111654_621483022056039440_n.jpg

Last edited:

Masterfett

Reaction score
I mean if they're going for "newish", and using photo real paint on older figures. Might as well give some of these guys that update, would be refreshing from seeing the mains constantly rehashed.

Though I don't truly think the economy can handle a bunch of side releases like Evolution sets today, they would most likely have to be an online exclusive. I still maintain that a Pilot/Droid 2-pk could be successful if handled properly. Astro Droids are always a hit within the community and a few of the older ones could benefit from today's deco technology. R3-T2 is one that stands out as slightly inaccurate as well as a few others. Though I'm probably in the minority here. And perhaps the Droid heyday pretty much over.is

djcos25

Reaction score
I mean if they're going for "newish", and using photo real paint on older figures. Might as well give some of these guys that update, would be refreshing from seeing the mains constantly rehashed.

Though I don't truly think the economy can handle a bunch of side releases like Evolution sets today, they would most likely have to be an online exclusive. I still maintain that a Pilot/Droid 2-pk could be successful if handled properly. Astro Droids are always a hit within the community and a few of the older ones could benefit from today's deco technology. R3-T2 is one that stands out as slightly inaccurate as well as a few others. Though I'm probably in the minority here. And perhaps the Droid heyday pretty much over.is
The pilot/droid 2-pack would be great! Similar to the Corran Horn/Whistler 2-pack.

disgruntledjawa

Reaction score
I loved the pilot/droid two packs. I'd love to see other companies like Kotobukiya do pilot/droid two packs.

RogueWhistler

Reaction score
Rogue Squadron Snowspeeder pilots
Customs:
Hobbie (now super articulated)
Dash Rendar x2 (the flight suit custom was from I believe a trading card, and the one with just the helmet was from the N64 players guide)

View attachment 339818
Gray Squadron - Battle of Endor
Customs:
Gray Leader Hortan Salm (not sure which GI Joe head I used, it didn't say in the ebay listing)
Gray 2 Lt. Telsij (I used the mistakenly labeled Arvel Crynard figure from the POTF Rebel Pilots Cinema 3 pack)

View attachment 339820
Thanks for recommending this thread to me, it was great to see all the pilots together, and the customs fit perfectly.

How hard was it to convert Hobbie's head from the Vander sculpt to Janson's? He's my most wanted pilot, but I don't have much faith in my own customising abilities.

I was about to recommend Tycho's helmet for your Salm, since it has his pattern, but then I remembered it had the wrong visor colour so it's just a lateral move.

I know the days of Evolutions sets (and in particular the two-for-one repaint ones like we got for Rebel and Imperial pilots) are long gone, but it occurs to me that Hasbro could knock out all of the remaining major OT pilots with one pair of those: Theron Nett/Keir Santage, super articulated Zev/Snowspeeder Hobbie, and Horton Salm/Gureni Telsij.

Last edited:

djcos25

Reaction score
How hard was it to convert Hobbie's head from the Vander sculpt to Janson's? He's my most wanted pilot, but I don't have much faith in my own customising abilities.
Thanks! For Hobbie, the body I used was Dak Ralter from The Black Series. On the original Hobbie figure, I boiled and popped the head out, then dremeled the neck post until it was able to fit. The only issue is the head comes off easily if I'm trying to take the helmet off. Not a big deal for me though.

I forgot I posted some of these in the customs section. For a more in-depth look, here's a few of them. Some were posted to photobucket at the time.

Hobbie and Sullestian Pilots

Tycho Celchu

Gavin Darklighter

Dash Rendar

澳门网上彩票合法么Blue Squadron Y-wing Bothan Pilot

Rookie One, Ace Azzameen, Olin Garn (I have since updated my Olin Garn figure with a figure from the Elite Forces line)

RogueWhistler

Reaction score
That Gavin Darklighter head really is perfect, I'm not a GI Joe collector so I never would have thought to look for head sculpts there.

djcos25

Reaction score
That Gavin Darklighter head really is perfect, I'm not a GI Joe collector so I never would have thought to look for head sculpts there.
I'm not a GI Joe collector myself. I just happen to search ebay for GI Joe figures or figure head lots to see if anything matches what I'm looking for. I've used figures from different GI Joe lines and Elite Forces. Glad you like them! Hope this helps.

Masterfett

Reaction score
yeah, i miss the good old days when you could find custom fodder rater cheap. Noe days it's kind of tough depending on the figure, especially any Eu stuff. I loved cannibalizing Joe figures for heads! I also tried keeping my eyes open for any and all 3.75" scale goodness to drawn from.

Pilots wee one of the easiest to do as simple head swaps, never liked color matching or painting eyes/eyebrows.

djcos25

Reaction score
yeah, i miss the good old days when you could find custom fodder rater cheap. Noe days it's kind of tough depending on the figure, especially any Eu stuff. I loved cannibalizing Joe figures for heads! I also tried keeping my eyes open for any and all 3.75" scale goodness to drawn from.

Pilots wee one of the easiest to do as simple head swaps, never liked color matching or painting eyes/eyebrows.
Yeah that's the downside. I see something I need then I see I have to pay like 20 bucks for something small, like arms or just a head. Ugh. After I'm done with a few customs and gather enough parts, I'll throw them in a lot on ebay and get some money for them. Speaking of, I just sold a lot last night, a bunch of Black Series and Marvel parts, it went for 41 bucks. Not bad.

Masterfett

Reaction score
lol Been thinking about doing the same thing very recently to scale back, have something like 4 boxes of nothing but fodder aside from a couple of boxed that are whole figures waiting for dissection.

djcos25

Reaction score
I decided to make Wedge Antilles from TROS as he's my favorite character and I'm sure we won't get an official release from Hasbro. I decided to use Wedge from the Borsk Fey'la/Wedge Rogue Squadron 2-pack, as that head seems to have the best likeness to Wedge. I used a Poe Dameron body from The Vintage Collection. I sanded down the back of his hair a bit to shorten it up. I dry-brushed the hair gray, then some white to tone down the gray a bit. Lastly I dropped some tacky material in the neck socket to tighten it up, as it was too loose originally.

Not sure if there is another way to make him look older, besides the gray hair.

108006443_1375320552857902_9087243548627856321_n.jpg

109446840_1215022935517664_7477251427326514457_n.jpg

106434-3-5f0a74573941b.jpg

djcos25

Reaction score
Just wanted to pass along this link. It's much better than looking up GI Joe heads on ebay. On here you can browse by year. I've been browsing, seeing if anything matches what I'm looking for.

Masterfett

Reaction score
Agreed, that was my go to site long ago!

Rodders

Reaction score
Reaction score
As a Rebel Pilot collector, how do you feel about Star Wars: Squadrons. Could be right up your alley.
Definitely looking forward to it. I'm excited that you can customize your crafts too.

Rodders

Reaction score
That is a really nice feature.

djcos25

Reaction score
One update and a new custom.

I touched up Keir Santage's helmet. It looks a bit beat up, especially in the middle so I dry-brushed some black on it. I think it looks better, plus I didn't want it looking exactly like Wedge's either.

109673596_277790600172567_445857454624340296_n.jpg

Next is a new custom I finished today - Voort "Piggy" saBinring from Wraith Squadron. I used a POTJ Jek Porkins for the body and helmet, and a POTF2 Gam Guard for the head. I had a bit of a hard time trying to attach the Gam Guard head to the Porkins body. I kept going back and forth with trimming the peg, trying to attach it, repeat. Finally I said screw it and just widened the neck socket, put some tacky material on the neck post and attached it. It still fits fine, its not loose and won't fall out if you turn it upside down. I messed up on the helmet though. I was able to stretch it after dropping it in hot water but I drilled the holes in the wrong area. I'd like to try again at some point.

109816264_508851679877848_7983016830921847819_n.jpg

115688013_299367851181700_380465382479192263_n.jpg

Also, is there a way to remove the head gear he's wearing? I know on TVC figure its removable, so its not part of his head.

Lastly, could I attach a TVC Gam Guard head to the POTJ Porkins figure? I know its a ball-jointed neck so technically it wouldn't work, but maybe if I glue/attach a neck post to the inside of the neck socket, would it work then? I'm thinking along the lines of a double ball-joint, like on the new X-wing Luke figure.

Masterfett

Reaction score
If you don't mind cutting the neck post off the GG too then that could work, otherwise you would need a donor from another figure. If the custom helmet fits the TVC head better it might be simpler to do it that way, I do think that head is smaller than the older figure.

Or the more difficult/dangerous route is to cut of the head gear with an exacto knife, then you could glue the helmet on.

djcos25

Reaction score
I finished up another custom pilot today - Theron Nett (Red 10). I used a GI Joe General Hawk on a Jon Vander body. Do I think it looks like Theron Nett? Ehh, not really but with the helmet on it kind of does to me. Decals for the helmet came in today. The helmet was from Hobbie and it was the only one that fit and didn't look over-sized. I repainted it, added in the gray markings (similar to Wedge's helmet) then added in the decals. I'm glad I finished this custom as I just won his droid, R2-X2 off ebay and it should be here this week.

110318205_1002691543496463_7654787939343889359_n.jpg

110314360_591698344874178_7873397391197954663_n.jpg

Theron_Nett.jpg

djcos25

Reaction score
Updated a few customs today.

First, I finished up Sarkli from Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike. I finally touched up the eyebrows. I also ordered some helmet decals recently for another custom and they came with a bunch. The helmet is from Zev Senecsa. It is a bit over-sized but I wanted it like that as his hair was repainted black and a loose helmet won't rub the paint off. I repainted the helmet and gave him black rebel logos - I did that as a bit of foreshadowing, as in the game he ends up defecting to the Empire, and Sarkli is shown here in a black outfit.

CaptainSarkli-SWGTCG.JPG.jpg

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

Second, I replaced my Ace Azzameen figure with a different head. Ace is the player-character from the video game X-Wing Alliance. Originally I used the Luke Moisture Farmer 30th Anniversary Collection figure. I was going for a boyish look as Ace is the youngest in the family. I finally settled on GI Joe Grand Slam, he looks young enough. I did the same with the helmet as before, repainted the visor black and painted the middle of the helmet a thicker red stripe (you can see Ace's helmet in his quarters).

RebelPilotHeadOnPortrait-XWA.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ace1.jpg

ace2.jpg

Finally I changed my Olin Garn figure again. Olin Garn is also from XWA - serving as a family friend and wingman of Ace. This is the third (and hopefully final) time. First I used a GI Joe Roadblock. After I thought the head was on the small side, so I found one from the Elite Forces line. I noticed after they didn't even paint any white in the eyes. I found a GI Joe Ripcord figure and settled on this one, I like it much better than the others. No image exist of his helmet so I used one from Plourr Ilo and just painted white over the black arrows.

Olin.jpg

110340498_334216271311577_1964334561928471163_n.jpg

116116754_1209090746103543_241102688696939047_n.jpg

115699262_2749270358687230_8821488068613924806_n.jpg

Last edited:

RogueWhistler

Reaction score
I had never heard of Sarkli before I tried to put together a timeline of Rogue Squadron's battles between ANH and TESB, it surprised me that such an obscure character was one of the group's earliest confirmed members.

The new and repainted heads are good improvements, especially for Olin Garn.

djcos25

Reaction score
I had never heard of Sarkli before I tried to put together a timeline of Rogue Squadron's battles between ANH and TESB, it surprised me that such an obscure character was one of the group's earliest confirmed members.

The new and repainted heads are good improvements, especially for Olin Garn.
Thanks! Someone on Youtube actually put every battle from all the Rogue Squadron games in a timeline video (minus the bonus missions/alternate timelines). Warning - its 3 hours lol.

澳门网上彩票合法么RogueWhistler

Reaction score
Thanks! Someone on Youtube actually put every battle from all the Rogue Squadron games in a timeline video (minus the bonus missions/alternate timelines). Warning - its 3 hours lol.
Thanks, I've watched a bit of gameplay from Rebel Strike to try to find a callsign for Sarkli, but it'd be great to see it all in order along with the first two.

djcos25

Reaction score
Thanks, I've watched a bit of gameplay from Rebel Strike to try to find a callsign for Sarkli, but it'd be great to see it all in order along with the first two.
On Wookieepedia, it says Sarkli was assigned the callsign Red Three in the Attack on Yavin 4. There is no source cited so I have no idea where the info came from. I always assumed this anyway, as in the Ison Corridor Ambush, Luke announces himself as Red Leader, and I figured Wedge kept the Red Two callsign.

RogueWhistler

Reaction score
On Wookieepedia, it says Sarkli was assigned the callsign Red Three in the Attack on Yavin 4. There is no source cited so I have no idea where the info came from. I always assumed this anyway, as in the Ison Corridor Ambush, Luke announces himself as Red Leader, and I figured Wedge kept the Red Two callsign.
Yeah, I was looking through the missions before his defection to try to find the source of that, but I couldn't find anything. Maybe it comes from some kind of strategy guide, or whatever it is that has him as Piett's nephew.

djcos25

Reaction score
I finished another custom pilot I've been wanting to make for a while now - Will Scotian. I boiled and popped the head out and dremeled out the neck socket. No mods done to the neck post. The head I used was labeled as GI Joe the Lanard Corps Series Solider #025 and arrived today.

WillScotian-ESBBR.jpg

116042134_2791656897729046_3361235266365961675_n.jpg

115736353_3389542991077549_5143858382155774296_n.jpg

Will first appeared in Shadows of the Empire as Rogue Two and was retconned in TESB. In new continuity he is still the same pilot. Under the "Legends" section on Wookieepedia, his equipment is listed as having a flight suit, blaster and comlink. I don't have a comlink accessory but provided him with a blaster. The only helmets that fit are Zev Senesca, Dorovio Bold and Plourr Ilo. Oddly, Zev's helmet from the single carded figure fits better then the same figure that came with his Snowspeeder. I'm keeping Bold's helmet for a future custom and I like Plourr's helmet on Olin Garn. Once I get a spare helmet I will add some decals to it. I may paint the boots black as it looks like all the pilots in the Hoth briefing scene had black boots but gray gloves.

Last edited:

djcos25

Reaction score

Masterfett

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Have you consider getting yourself a rebel pilot costume, or is it just the figures you like?
I thought about it but have no idea when I could wear it lol. There is a comic-con they have here every November, but I always felt weird at the thought of meeting a celebrity in costume, despite many others who do it.

Masterfett

Reaction score
Reaction score
At least now days it's not quite as looked at the same way it was in the 70's and 80's, it's now consider a "cool" culture. Although I'm sure there's still a few who think "this person is really over the top" 🤨 lol

I think the more detailed you costume is the more awe people are in at the work put in, rather than buying a costume off the rack.
Oh definitely. I'm 34 and collecting, comic-con type events, cosplay, etc were definitely not as accepted back when I was in school as opposed to now. A few years ago I went to a comic-con after party and dressed up then. I went as Mario but I actually picked out the overalls, shirt, boots and had a tool belt as well. I had quite a few people come up and ask for photos, it was probably the best part of the night.

djcos25

Reaction score
Another GI Joe head came in today. This is my custom of Nozzo Naytaan who flew in Red Squadron as Red Nine in the Battle of Scarif and Battle of Yavin. The head I used was GI Joe Vincent "Falcon" Falcone. I widened the neck socket just a bit. It ended up being a tad loose so I dropped a tiny bit of tacky material inside. Lastly I dry-brushed his hair a light gray, then a darker gray to tone it down a bit. The helmet is from Dorovio Bold.

116398893_3461404640550552_5604438473359685585_n.jpg

116265937_745196049644601_7866033662429002764_n.jpg

red9.jpg

djcos25

Reaction score
Touched up the helmet a bit. I realized after posting the middle is a dark gray with a red stripe so I took care of it.

116265937_745196049644601_7866033662429002764_n.jpg

djcos25

Reaction score
I know this is the Rebel Pilot thread, but I made 2 Imperial pilots who would become Rebel pilots. I made Wedge, which was done a while ago, and just finished Hobbie today, as they appeared in Star Wars Rebels. I simply painted the head covering and did a head swap with the Biggs Imperial pilot figure. For Wedge, I believe I used a 5POA TIE Fighter figure for the helmet and opened it up with my dremel.

116440712_320968939274787_57481040646300540_n.jpg

RogueWhistler

Reaction score
TIE pilot Wedge and Hobbie are some of my most wanted figures from Rebels, after Rukh and a new Thrawn.

I'm not as interested in Imp pilots as I am in the Alliance's, but I would like to see an updated TIE pilot sculpt, since the most recent one's basic sculpt dates back to the SAGA line.

DutchVander

Reaction score
Tucson, wretched hive of scum and villany
Reaction score
They actually released TIE Pilot Hobbie with an EE Exclusive Tie fighter that had Rebel Logos on the wings roughly 10ish years ago.
I completely forgot about that figure until I read your comment. Dammit lol. I checked ebay and 2 Hobbie Imperial pilot figures are going between $25-30. I got the Hobbie rebel pilot and Biggs Imperial pilot for cheap so I guess it ain't that bad. It didn't take long - had this taken up most of my day I would have been pissed lol.