Who else loved Clone Wars but was disappointed with Rebels?

Reaction score
Now that it's over, who else loved The Clone Wars but was disappointed by Rebels? I believe that together Lucas and Filoni made a good show together with Clone Wars but once it was just Filoni with Rebels everything went to Sith. I mean space whales that travel hyper space? Can anyone honestly say they'd appreciate that in a live action movie? Plus the time traveling Wolves, I mean ok the guy likes wolves great but please keep it at a minimum and don't let your personal interests become something essential to the plot. Having a clone squad with Wolf paint jobs is cool but thr aforementioned is in poor taste and just plain absurd. It goes beyond suspension of dibelief. All of these events in Rebels do not seem like that they would occur in the same universe as A New Hope.

Reaction score
Also Nik Saint is not Captain Rex. If future artists want to create content that takes place within the timeline of the ot then so be it but don't alter it please. It's like taking a beautiful Van Gogh or Seurat and doodling little stick figures on it. Leave the masterpieces alone and create your own art.

Prequellover

Reaction score
Reaction score
Why does it matter if random nobody with a beard is Nik or Rex? He's still a random nobody with a beard.

Rebels in my opinion is average. On par with S3 of TCW, though I agree his wolf love was taken a bit far.
It only matters because Filoni is claiming part of something he did not create as his own by inserting his own character in there.

JediDave76

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
While I can understand people's viewpoints about those life forms, and whether there's a place in SW for them or not. We can't act like they're out of place, in the realm of possible existences in the Universe. I see this narrow-minded POV all too often. Now should Wolves look like Earth Wolves? Probably not, not unless you are a true believer in all life in the cosmos was seeded from one place. The wales however, seem perfectly logical as a Space born organism. Whenever the Force is concerned, it's difficult to exclude the "paranormal". I'm fairly certain though, there could have been a way to tell the story w/o all side trips in LSD land.
Introducing all that lore into basically the last episode of the series just seems odd to me. It's like opening a door to you dream house, then having it closed on you and told it's been sold! lol Honestly! o-o

Personally, I never really felt like Ezra truly grew. He's always been that obnoxious kid right up until the last episode, then they made him see more adultish.

AP-5? He seems to have been forgotten. Surely they could have resolved that? If people thought that he had an attitude before, wait till someone happens upon him after 10-20 years floating in space! Though maybe he just powers down after the first year... Be cool if he pops up in the new show somewhere.

As for which one liked more, I can't really say for sure. They both had their good and bad. Rebels felt like it was more for an older audience that TCW, at least that's how if seemed to me. I also preferred the animation more in Rebels. TCW did offer deeper story telling though, and more diverse. With Rebels, it was only about he Ghost crew, essentially.

Reaction score
YES! Thank you, someone agrees on Ezra. I see so many people say he matured and developed, but to me he was always the annoying kid of the group.

jpolli666

Reaction score
funny I felt the total opposite, i.e. TCW was much more adult oriented. Rebels only bugged me w/ their subtle violence, and lack of real main character threats. The methods characters were disposed of in TCW was quite wicked most of the times, The Coronet impalement, Gha nachts impalement, Argyus, satine, Bane shooting the senator in the back, Ziro/sy, the multi decaps of the Black sun reps, the hutts, so many to recall but those stick out. It was way darker overall IMO, but Rebels again was fun, and did a good job no doubt, but felt too safe... Rebels felt more all ages, as opposed to echoing the violence & tragedy that is a staple in the films.Then they did the free makers which was another tier down from rebels in safety, and story similarities.

jedimasterc

Reaction score
Reaction score
Keep in mind too that TCW was pre-Disney too. I do agree that what we saw in Rebels was a bit watered down and it did take a while for it to get going. I missed the finale what became of Ezra?
Ezra and Thrawn got stuck on a whale that can jump into hyperspace and they both vanished once said whale went into hyperspace. Supposedly he might still be alive and a Post ROTJ Sabine is in search of him. I wish that was a joke but it's actually the truth. :wtf:

jpolli666

Reaction score
yeah too soft, that's what i'm getting at. Right, even though it's Disney it seems Filoni had a pretty good grip on his shows, don't forget, Disney owns it but guys like Filoni are still holding their own reins in many ways. LOL all these years fans whining about GL, and now look.....

DarkManX

Reaction score
yeah too soft, that's what i'm getting at. Right, even though it's Disney it seems Filoni had a pretty good grip on his shows, don't forget, Disney owns it but guys like Filoni are still holding their own reins in many ways. LOL all these years fans whining about GL, and now look.....

Saw it coming a hundred miles away. I remember everyone begging for George to let somebody else take over Star Wars and I knew those same people would not be happy either way, no matter the quality of Lusas-less media.

ESBbobafett

Reaction score
YES! Thank you, someone agrees on Ezra. I see so many people say he matured and developed, but to me he was always the annoying kid of the group.

Yep here here!!!

He was reason I stayed away from watching Rebels at all initially. I used to be really eager to watch seasons of TCW even though I found Ashoka annoying at first (though she’s better than Ezra). However, with Rebels I only started watching it when all seasons were available on free to air. I wanted to check some Mandalorian action and the episode where Ashoka and Vader fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prequellover

Reaction score
Reaction score
I was put off by the half-hour format. by the time each episode would even start to get interesting, it was already over.
it was like sitting down to eat a meal at your favorite restaurant.. and getting kicked out of the restaurant after the appetizer, but before the main course.
I found it very unsatisfying every time I sat down to watch. the "portion size" was too small :p
I realized early on, it wasn't worth my time to watch each episode weekly on TV -- it was better to wait for blu-rays and "binge watch" this series instead...
...and then, I just never got around to buying the blu-rays. I think I have the first two seasons..? I dunno.. I haven't watched them yet.
I think a one-hour format would have worked better for me, to capture my interest.

beyond that , there's really not much to say about this series.
over the years I've seen a few episodes -- the ones they keep replaying on disney XD for ratings -- the Maul stuff with the ahsoka fight and Kanan losing his eyesight
(it seems this is the only episode they replay 'regularly' on TV because it's the only one I've ever tuned into while randomly surfing channels -- I've seen it about 4 times already, but I've never really seen much ELSE from this series).

overall it gave me the same impression as the rest of the star wars EU -- I wouldn't call it a "disappointment" -- it sort if 'is what it is' I guess -- I could take it or leave it.
(ie: I've read a few comics but I don't collect them, they are what they are; I've read a few novels but I was never really all that impressed with the storylines, they are what they are..
it's still "star wars" (and it scores points for being star wars), but for what it's worth, it's not really my cup of tea).

I'm starting to realize that the ST movies also fall into this category. its just like any other EU production over the last 20 years. it sort of 'is what it is'.
it's all EU now. (and not because 'saying it makes it so' LOL -- it's only because of the real world context provided by all the other EU stuff over the last 20 years) -- only because "it is what it is". :p
(you can call it something else, if you don't like the "EU" moniker -- but it IS all the same now -- movies, TV, video games, etc.. ask Pablo, if you don't trust me .. HE"LL tell you, in his own words: it's all the same now).

Last edited:

lumat

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Yep here here!!!

He was reason I stayed away from watching Rebels at all initially. I used to be really eager to watch seasons of TCW even though I found Ashoka annoying at first (though she’s better than Ezra). However, with Rebels I only started watching it when all seasons were available on free to air. I wanted to check some Mandalorian action and the episode where Ashoka and Vader fight.

Here, here!

Yep Annoying Ezra.
Wanted some Mando action
Yep Darth Vader action
Death trooper action

Yep definitely free to air material

jpolli666

Reaction score
Reaction score

jpolli666

Reaction score
Reaction score
Ezra and Thrawn got stuck on a whale that can jump into hyperspace and they both vanished once said whale went into hyperspace. Supposedly he might still be alive and a Post ROTJ Sabine is in search of him. I wish that was a joke but it's actually the truth. :wtf:
I was put off by the half-hour format. by the time each episode would even start to get interesting, it was already over.
it was like sitting down to eat a meal at your favorite restaurant.. and getting kicked out of the restaurant after the appetizer, but before the main course.
I found it very unsatisfying every time I sat down to watch. the "portion size" was too small :p
I realized early on, it wasn't worth my time to watch each episode weekly on TV -- it was better to wait for blu-rays and "binge watch" this series instead...
...and then, I just never got around to buying the blu-rays. I think I have the first two seasons..? I dunno.. I haven't watched them yet.
I think a one-hour format would have worked better for me, to capture my interest.

beyond that , there's really not much to say about this series.
over the years I've seen a few episodes -- the ones they keep replaying on disney XD for ratings -- the Maul stuff with the ahsoka fight and Kanan losing his eyesight
(it seems this is the only episode they replay 'regularly' on TV because it's the only one I've ever tuned into while randomly surfing channels -- I've seen it about 4 times already, but I've never really seen much ELSE from this series).

overall it gave me the same impression as the rest of the star wars EU -- I wouldn't call it a "disappointment" -- it sort if 'is what it is' I guess -- I could take it or leave it.
(ie: I've read a few comics but I don't collect them, they are what they are; I've read a few novels but I was never really all that impressed with the storylines, they are what they are..
it's still "star wars" (and it scores points for being star wars), but for what it's worth, it's not really my cup of tea).

I'm starting to realize that the ST movies also fall into this category. its just like any other EU production over the last 20 years. it sort of 'is what it is'.
it's all EU now. (and not because 'saying it makes it so' LOL -- it's only because of the real world context provided by all the other EU stuff over the last 20 years) -- only because "it is what it is". :p
(you can call it something else, if you don't like the "EU" moniker -- but it IS all the same now -- movies, TV, video games, etc.. ask Pablo, if you don't trust me .. HE"LL tell you, in his own words: it's all the same now).
I hoped that a show set in the OT era would be what I liked most. I can now say that REbels never reached anywhere close to the level of enjoyment that TCW series delivered. Perhaps Ezra was to be the new Ahsoka type character, but for whatever reason he just didn't. And even though it was cool to get quick cameos of characters like Leia, Lando, Vader, Hondo & Ahsoka, maybe the biggest issue for me is that TCW centered around heroes we knew and loved already, then adding in new characters for us to get to know and love like Ahsoka, Cad Bane, Savage, etc... Whereas in Rebels, we had to hang out with this whole new group of people and get sprinkles of familiar characters. I stuck with it though and hoped that the Phoenix Squadron would grow on me, but never did deliver like TCW characters did. Rebels was def watered down, in line with what TCW season 1 was like...before it really got good. I liked Kanaan ok, and enjoyed Hera to a degree. Best parts of the show were all the cameos, which says it all I guess.
Yes, yes, yes. Weak lead. Eh core cast. Low stakes played down to that level. Some of TCW's best episodes were those with little on the line, particularly those with lots of Anthony Daniels. I particularly remember "The Wrong Jedi" from Season 1 and "Wayward Droids" from Season 4. Very little was at stake, yet those were phenomenal. Now, let's talk "Fighter Flight" from Rebels Season 1...

Django

Reaction score
I absolutely hated Rebels and everything about it...except Vader. The only season I could watch is Season 2 with Vader. Even then, when he wasn't in it I hated it. The Ghost crew, across the board, was the weakest Milquetoast thing I ever seen. Not an interesting or non annoying character in the whole lot. Same for the rebels themselves. Yeah, grown Ashoka was cool, but really only because of her ties to Anakin and trying to unwrap the mystery of Vader. Rex was a nice addition, but it was grasping at straws. Everything I liked about the show was from TCW, PT or OT movies, but nothing they introduced was worth a spit. No question, the OT McQuarrie influenced art was the true highlight of the show.

Compared to the Clone Wars, this show was kiddie time. And yes, I realize that was the purpose of it. But they always (consistently) teased the adult viewer, with episodes like Vader vs Ashoka, Maul vs Obi Wan, etc. to keep you watching. But the majority of it was bad. I hated it so much I never watched the last season at all, and have no desire to.

Compare that to TCW, which even now I can't wait to view new episodes for. I have rewatched that series at least 5x (not the whole thing, but arcs). As others have said above, the graphic violence and dark nature of TCW is what won me over. Yes, the first two seasons have lots of weak episodes but after that it takes off and is incredible. Rebels actually got worse as it went on after Season 2, not better. Or at least that's my opinion.

Chewbacca

Reaction score
Reaction score
*Tentatively raises hand*

There were some amazing individual episodes of Rebels, but Clone Wars was hands down a better series.

SpectreOne

Reaction score
Reaction score
I'll also break the trend of the thread and say that I really enjoyed both shows. As for preference...

Well, I really enjoyed the serialized nature of The Clone Wars, and how almost every story was told over 2-4 episode arcs. It felt more like a televised collection of short stories set during a time period, which was different and enjoyable. Rebels, however, tells one clear story over the course of its four seasons. Yes, there are side missions and tangents...but we stick with the Ghost crew and see their story unfold as the Rebel Alliance starts to form and coalesce around them. And while I know people complain that Rebels is too Disney and doesn't have the edge that TCW had (which is true in many ways), there's still something appealing to me about following a story with characters I don't know whose fates are uncertain, as opposed to knowing what would happen with all the main characters in TCW (minus Ahsoka and individual non-commander clones) because of the existing movies.

Ultimately, I think I'm with SpectreOne and would say I prefer Rebels. But I say that noting that some of the best moments in Rebels (particularly those involving Ahsoka, Rex, and Maul) only have the impact they have because of The Clone Wars. So I'm just thankful we got both.

Masterfett

Reaction score
The only reason Rebels doesn't quite get the edge over on TCW, was mainly due to my dislike of one character. He just had that cringe feel to him, and it seemed that they were making him a goober on purpose. Yet also trying to portray him as some up and coming Jedi in the making.
I never thought that I would dislike a character that much until Resistance introduces Spaz.

That said, there were some great arc in Rebels.

Django

Reaction score
The first season of Rebels was very weak, but I think we still got interesting digressions on The Force and the early Rebellion in the last two seasons. But it still didn't hold a candle to TCW.
I :love: your Avatar BTW!

Chewbacca

Reaction score
I :love: your Avatar BTW!
A direct response to Disney's hijacking of TCW. For God's sake, I'd take another season of Resistance over this. At least I'd learned to ignore that Disney XD garbage.

Django

Reaction score
A direct response to Disney's hijacking of TCW. For God's sake, I'd take another season of Resistance over this. At least I'd learned to ignore that Disney XD garbage.
Yep, the last two episodes of TCW have been horrible. I knew they were going to be, but went in with an open mind hoping to be entertained. Instead, it's just bad. The first 4 episode arc with the Bad Batch was awesome, and just like they did with the Mandalorian, they suck you in with a good initial arc then dump their crap on you. I highly doubt I will watch the last 2 episodes of this arc, it's been so painful. But I hold out hope the last arc, which should be fighting Maul on Mandalore and invading it with Ashoka will be worth a viewing.

Also, XD has been horrible for about a decade now. It started when they bought Marvel and ended the best Spider-man cartoon ever (Spectacular Spider-Man) and replaced it with their garbage Ultimate Spider-Man on XD. Which is truly painful to watch for more than 5 minutes.

Chewbacca

Reaction score
Reaction score
To be honest, I love The Mandalorian, even though they are roping us in for a little Season 2 social-justice Star Warrioring with Cara. There wasn't a soft episode in the whole first season. Maybe Episode 5, though there was a fair bit of fan service and a fair bit of character development with The Child.
As far as TCW, which I love despite its warts over the years, holy crap has this been a limp to the finish. I don't even have a desire to rewatch the bad batch of episodes.
Eh. I don't see the Cara thing going too far into social justice territory. Season 1 may not have had a "soft" episode but they did a fine job portraying strong women without being obnoxious about it (the forge Mandalorian, Cara, the assassin, that chick from the shrimping village that knew how to shoot)

Chewbacca

Reaction score
Make it a compelling character, and I don't care if it's LGBT representative. "Doctor Who" did a great job with Jack Harkness without it being his primary, let alone sole, characteristic. And I should also acknowledge the fine actor in that role. But "Who" got clumbsier as it has changed showrunners and gotten more transatlantic. Bill didn't make it five minutes into an episode without hitting you over the head with it.
Personally, I like Cara Dune, even though I chuckle when she said in her third scene that she saw most of her action "after Endor."

Chewbacca

Reaction score
The Forger has an obvious High Priestess thing going on, but I do not object.

Huang’s-Protegé

Reaction score
I think I liked TCW much better. Rebels was good, but not my favorite SW side tale. Quality, talent so much was there, but TCW just seemed more necessary in the lore, rebels felt like (esp at the end), didn't really do much for the lore overall.
I agree. I really like both of them with Clone Wars having the high ground on my opinions. Rebels, although a bit unorthodox with some of its elements, like the Pergil and Loth-wolves, I still really like the show and am excited for the sequel series. I just hope they’ll keep it a bit more grounded and “in-sync” with the canon universe to where they can satisfy at least most of the audience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk